Emergency Closing Information
Memorial University, with campuses in St. John’s and at Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook, is a residential institution so it is essential we maintain our operations and schedules, even when tasked with emergencies. The university will not close except under unusual circumstances. In the event of severe weather or other emergencies, if Memorial has to cancel classes or to close, information will be made available as quickly as possible through a variety of communications vehicles.
Advisories for late openings and all-day closings will be issued by 7 a.m. Early closings during daytime will be announced at least one hour in advance.
Memorial’s web alert system will be activated if there is an emergency class cancellation or closure advisory. A message will be posted on the university’s home page outlining the emergency announcement. Check the websites:
Listen to local radio stations.
St. John’s and area:
Corner Brook and area:
In St. John’s, call the campus switch board: 709-864-8000.
In Corner Brook, call the Grenfell Campus switchboard: 709-637-6200
University email account holders will receive an email message if they are subscribed to Memorial's Newsline email service. If you are not receiving Newsline, email email@example.com. Email account holders at Grenfell Campus will receive an email announcing cancellations from the campus' communications co-ordinator, if they have subscribed to this service.
Check departmental office doors for daytime cancellation or closure information.
During inclement weather or in the case of an emergency:
- The St. John’s campus, including the Marine Institute and Campus Childcare Centre of Memorial University will follow its own emergency operation schedule. The decision to cancel classes or to close will be made by the president (or his designate) with advice coming from various other offices on campus, notably Facilities Management, which remains in close contact with Environment Canada as weather systems develop.
- Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook will follow its own emergency operating schedule. The vice-president (or her designate) makes the decision to cancel classes or close the campus.
- The Works recreational facilities on the St. John’s campus will follow its own emergency operating schedule. For information, check the local radio stations listed above or phone 709-864-3797 or check www.theworksonline.ca.
- The Marine Institute’s Offshore Safety and Survival Centre in Foxtrap will follow its own emergency operating schedule. For information, check the local radio stations listed above or phone 709-834-2076.
- Library Services at Memorial will not be provided when there a closure due to inclement weather or an emergency at one of the campuses during regular hours. On weekends or on holidays, when classes and general services are not offered, patrons should check the university websites listed above and listen to local radio stations. Patrons can also phone the following numbers for a recorded message: 709-864-7425 for the Queen Elizabeth II Library; 709-777-6671 for the Health Sciences Library; 709-778-0662 for the C.R. Barrett Library at the Marine Institute; and 709-637-6267 for the Ferris Hodgett Library at Grenfell Campus.