Travel - Familiarization Visit
To identify and provide control over expenses relating to a familiarization visit for new employees.
Applies to newly-appointed employees who travel to Memorial for a Familiarization Visit.
Familiarization Visit — Is offered in certain situations when an offer of employment and acceptance of that offer is in place. It is intended for new employees to meet with colleagues regarding curriculum and research matters and/or to become familiar with the unit.
Unit Head — All Deans, Directors, the University Librarian, Associate Vice-Presidents, and Vice-Presidents as appropriate.
- For appointments of two or more years in duration, one Familiarization Visit may be permitted for each candidate and one spouse, partner or a dependent child, where budget allocations allow.
- The Familiarization Visit must be approved in advance by the appropriate Unit Head upon approval of the appointment of the candidate by the respective Vice-President or the Director of Human Resources.
- If a newly appointed employee is approved for a Familiarization Visit he/she may utilize that visit to address logistical issues related to relocation.
- Expenses related to the newly appointed employee and the person accompanying the employee will be reimbursed with the approval of the Unit Head and in accordance with the following:
a. Travel to the Familiarization Visit will be reimbursed at the most economical and reasonable mode of transportation available and, in any event, should not exceed economy fare from the new employee’s then place of residence to the airport nearest the appropriate campus of the University.
b. Vehicle rentals may be reimbursed at the discretion of the Unit Head, if he/she considers it the most economical and efficient mode of transportation during the visit.
c. Accommodation, as approved by the Unit Head, will be reimbursed to a maximum of three nights. Private accommodations will be reimbursed as per the Schedule of Reimbursable Expenses. At the discretion of the Unit Head, the three night maximum may be combined with the maximum seven nights provided for in the policy on Travel - Relocation and Removal for a maximum combined total of ten nights. See policy on Travel - Relocation and Removal.
d. Newly appointed employees will be reimbursed for meal per diems and incidentals as per the Schedule of Reimbursable Expenses.
e. The University will not reimburse for any hosting or related expenses during the Familiarization Visit.
5. An application for Familiarization Visit costs not provided for under this policy must be made to the respective Vice-President.
For inquiries related to this policy:
Department of Financial and Administrative Services: 709-864-2597
Vice-President (Administration & Finance)
There is at least one previous version of this policy. Contact the Policy Office to view earlier version(s)