Procedure for Shredding and Disposal of Confidential Materials - St. John's Campus
The University, through the Department of Facilities Management, contracts a service provider for the shredding and disposal of confidential materials, on site and off site, for the St. John's Campus. Materials include: records, video, diskettes, compact discs, hard drives
Units with their own shredding equipment, capable of achieving a maximum cut size of 15-16 mm. in width, should use that equipment for small amounts of shredding. The central service should be used for larger quantities or for multimedia that cannot be shred with the unit's equipment.
The preferred method for the central service of shredding and disposal is off site.
The on-site method should only be requested if you wish to observe the shredding process; otherwise, the off-site method should be used. The cost per box may differ for on-site and off-site shredding. Units must contact the Procurement Officer before requesting any on-site shredding as the operation and/or noise levels of the shredding equipment may affect personnel working in various locations.
Units requesting shredding must:
- Complete the Facilities Management "Service/Material Authorization" form and indicate which service you are using (“on-site” or “off-site”). If you select the “on-site” service and wish to observe the actual shredding process please inform the service provider when you contact them to schedule the service.
- Contact the service provider directly and arrange with them to collect the materials to be shredded.
- The current service provider for “On-site” service is Access Corp: 709-237-2237
- The current service provider for “off-site” service is Avalon Recycling Services Ltd.: 368-0416.
- Provide the service provider with the building location, room number and contact person/phone number along with the RR number from the Facilities Management "Service/Material Authorization" form. The service provider will confirm an appointment.
- When the materials have been collected for shredding, the service provider will issue a “Certificate of Destruction.” Forward the completed "Service/Material Authorization" form and the "Certificate of Destruction” to the attention of: