Biology Field Courses
The Department of Biology offers a suite of local and international field courses designed to provide students with unique opportunities to gain hands-on experience in different field sites. We offer field courses based on demand; not all courses will be offered in each year. Please click here for Spring 2023 offerings in Bonne Bay and here for offerings at Harlow Campus.
The Bonne Bay Marine Station is located on the west coast of the island in the quaint, coastal community of Norris Point. Surrounded by Gros Morne National Park, the Bonne Bay area exhibits a diversity of habitat, marine plants, fish and invertebrates that offers a unique outdoor classroom experience.
The Department of Biology offers a selection of undergraduate courses at the Bonne Bay Marine Station during the Spring/Summer semester.
The suite of Biology courses offered at the Bonne Bay Marine Station include, but are not limited to:
- Biology 3014 - Biology and Ecology of Boreal and Arctic Seaweeds
- Biology 3709 – Marine Principles and Techniques
- Biology 3712 – Benthic Biology
- Biology 3714 – Estuarine Fish Ecology
- Biology 4710/OCSC 4500 - Experimental Marine Ecology of Newfoundland Waters
- Biology 4912 – Biology of Marine Mammals
- Biology 4914 – Marine Animal Acoustics
- Biology 4810/4820 – Marine/Terrestrial Research Field Course
- Biology 3709 - Marine Principles and Techniques - Instructor TBD - May 24 - June 6 2023
- Biology 3714 - Estuarine Fish Ecology - Dr. Craig Purchase - June 7 - 20 2023
- BIOL 4912 - Biology of Marine Mammals - Instructor TBD - June 21 - 4 July 2023
- Biology 4710/Ocean Science 4500 - Experimental Marine Ecology - Dr. Uta Passow - July 5 - 18 2023
For additional information regarding upcoming Bonne Bay field course offerings, please contact Biology's Academic Program Officer.
Memorial's Harlow Campus is used by both professional schools and academic departments to offer individual courses and complete programs. The campus is also utilized by faculty members and graduate students conducting research or further study in the UK.
The Department of Biology offers two (2) undergraduate courses at Harlow during the Spring semester: BIOL 4910 (Vertebrate Diversity and Adaptation) and BIOL 4911 (Applied Biology).
A Non-Majors Course BIOL 3820 (Foundations of Biology), when offered, takes placein May, overlapping with BIOL 4910/4911.
- Biology 4910 - Vertebrate Diversity and Adaptation on the Land and in the Sea - Drs. Kapil Tahlan and Iain McGaw - April 30 - May 12 2023
- Biology 4911 - Applied Biology - Drs. Paul Marino and Jeanette Wheeler - May 15 - 26 2023
For additional information regarding upcoming Harlow field course offerings, please contact Biology's Academic Program Officer.