Apply to Memorial
Ready to apply to Memorial and join our growing community of graduate student scholars? Follow our step-by-step guide to applying and you're on your way to becoming a graduate student. Need help? Contact us at any time. If you are interested in a research program, we would encourage you to contact potential supervisors in your area of interest after you apply.
The School of Graduate Studies acknowledges the importance of equity, diversity, and inclusion in graduate education. This is reflected in our diversity statement and the work of the SGS committee on diversity. We are mindful of the need and our role to increase access to graduate education for all students, but particularly those who contribute to the diversity in our graduate programs. If you are an Indigenous student or a Black Canadian student applying for admission to a doctoral program, we can offer additional supports, including an application fee waiver, to help you with your application for admission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please email unofficial copies of your supporting documents with your MUN student number to email@example.com (you will receive your MUN student number by email after your graduate application is submitted and processed). Official documents are not required for the initial application review. Please do not mail supporting documents or drop off supporting documents in person.
Choose your semester and check the deadlines
Decide when you'd like to start your studies and check the relevant deadlines.
- Some academic units only admit students for the Fall semester and do not review applications after the application deadline, while others offer admission for multiple semesters on a rolling basis.
- Deadlines and entry semesters are listed in the programs section of our website.
- We encourage you to apply early, and submit documents 2 days after you apply so that they may be properly matched with your file.
- All applications and required documents must be received by the School of Graduate Studies by the application deadline.
- Late applications and documents are processed as time and resources permit.
Identify and collect all required application materials
The graduate application will include the following items. Click on each item for more information. Ensure that your full name and date of birth or Memorial student number appear on all documents.
- The application must be fully and accurately completed. Please note the online application only supports the English language.
- Ensure your full legal name (including previous last name if applicable) is listed in the correct order, as it appears on your passport or other government-issued ID.
- Please note the correct route (e.g., thesis, course, internship) for your program of interest. Refer to the graduate program routes document for details. Incorrect routes may lead to delays in the admission process.
- Ensure you provide names and contact information for all referees.
- Under "Citizenship/Residence," Select "Student Visa" if your citizenship is not Canadian and you require a study permit to legally study in Canada. Select "Permanent Resident" if your citizenship is not Canadian and you have immigrated to Canada.
- Ensure that the Statement of Interest page of the application is properly completed, as most academic units place considerable emphasis on this section.
- Official transcripts (originals or copies certified by the issuing institution) must be emailed directly by the issuing institution. Transcripts are required from all universities attended from which a degree was earned or transfer credits were awarded. If you are currently enrolled in a degree program, an official interim transcript can be accepted. Unofficial transcripts may also be emailed by the applicant to firstname.lastname@example.org (please reference your MUN student number in the email). Please do not mail supporting documents or drop off supporting documents in person.
- Memorial University transcripts are not required. If you are currently a Memorial University undergraduate student, please advise us when your degree requirements have been met or a degree has been conferred by contacting email@example.com.
- If degree completion is not reflected on the transcript, we will require a document (e.g., letter) from the university attended acknowledging that all degree requirements have been met.
- Notarized English translations are required if transcripts are not issued in English or French.
- Please remember that supporting documents, including original transcripts, cannot be returned.
- When completing your application online, you will be required to enter information about your referees. Please ensure you contact your referees before applying to confirm their availability and willingness to write a reference letter on your behalf.
- After you submit your application online, your referees will receive an email with a unique link inviting them to complete and submit an online reference letter form. It is your responsibility to ensure they receive this email.
- To ensure your referee receives our email, please ensure their email address is entered correctly in the “Referees Information” section of the online application. Whenever possible, the referee’s institutional or professional email address should be used.
- Reference letters should be received by the appropriate application deadline. To ensure this happens, please submit your application before the application deadline (1-2 weeks recommended) so your referees have sufficient time to submit their forms.
- You can track the status of reference letters submitted in support of your application online.
- At least one letter of appraisal must be by an academic referee, and for MBA, MEd, MSW, MER, and MScN applications, at least one must be by a professional referee.
- Academic referees selected to write letters of appraisal on your behalf should have taught or supervised you at a university level, and be able to accurately comment on your ability to succeed in a graduate program.
- In cases where a new or alternate referee is required, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) applicants only are required to submit a third letter of appraisal from a referee who can comment on their suitability for clinical practice. The third referee should email their letter to email@example.com.
- The application fee of $60 for Canadian applicants or $120 for international applicants is payable by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) only.
- All applicants to the School of Music are required to pay the Supplementary Application Fee of $40. The fee is in addition to any general admission/readmission fees that may apply. The fee is non-refundable/non-transferable and will be charged upon submission of this application.
- If you are employed as a permanent or contractual employee at Memorial at the time of application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on application fee reimbursement.
- Students who have completed secondary schooling, an undergraduate program, or a graduate program at a recognized institution where the language of instruction is English will normally not require an English proficiency test. If the institution is located outside of Canada and/or the language of instruction is not clearly indicated on the official transcript, applicants are advised to provide a letter from their university stating the language of instruction.
- All other students will be required to provide minimum scores from acceptable standardized tests listed in the University Calendar.
- Please note that certain programs require higher test scores than those indicated below. Where this is the case, it will be indicated on the relevant page of the Programs section of our website.
- Please email your test score report to email@example.com (please reference your MUN student number in the email).
- Unless otherwise indicated, the minimum English proficiency test scores are as follows:
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test - A score of 80 or higher.
- IELTS - An average band score of 6.5 or higher on the academic test.
- CAEL - A score between 50 and 60 in each of four bands, with at least 2 band scores of 60.
- CanTEST - Band Level 4.5 in the listening comprehension and reading comprehension sub-tests and a score of 4 in writing.
- MELAB - A score of 85% or higher.
- PTE Academic - Minimum scores of 58 in each of reading, writing, listening, and speaking
- MUN Test of English Language – For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Test score reports: Certain graduate programs will require minimum scores on a standardized test (e.g., GRE, GMAT). Scores should be sent by email to email@example.com.
- The following standardized tests are now being offered through home-based online testing:
- Additional requirements: Certain graduate programs will require you to meet additional requirements or submit an additional form or writing sample.
- Authorization for use of representative: To authorize a representative to have access to your application file, please email firstname.lastname@example.org from the email address noted on your application. The email should state your full name, date of birth, Memorial University student number, the graduate program to which you applied, and the full name of your representative.
- Financial guarantee: If you are being sponsored by a government agency or university to pursue a graduate program at Memorial, please email a financial guarantee document to email@example.com.
- Prerequisites may be necessary for your program of interest. Please check the University Calendar or the Programs section of our website for more information.
Submit your application
- All applications must be submitted online (credit card required). Current or former Memorial University students are encouraged to apply through Memorial Self-Service.
- Please note that credit card payments on the application are only available from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. (Newfoundland time; UTC -3:30), Sunday through Friday. It is unavailable on Saturday.
- Please ensure your referees have received, completed, and submitted the online reference letter form.
- You may submit unofficial transcripts, confirmation of degree completion, test score reports, writing samples, and additional forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and MUN student number in the email. Unofficial documents (e.g., transcripts) will not be reflected in the online application checklist but will be considered as part of your application.
- Please do not mail supporting documents or drop off supporting documents in person.
Important Note: Memorial University will verify documents submitted in support of a graduate application, including letters of appraisal, transcripts, and degree certificates. Submission of falsified documents is considered a serious academic offense.
Watch application tutorials (optional)
Applying to graduate school for the first time? We’ve prepared four tutorial videos to help make the process easier for you.
Does your program require a supervisor? View the video below for tips on contacting and securing a graduate supervisor.
Still have questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us at any time.
Applying to graduate school: key points, tips and suggestions
Statement of interest for graduate school: How to write an effective statement of interest
Reference letter for graduate school: Who do you ask?
Finding a research supervisor: Tips for contacting and securing a graduate supervisor