As one of the top 20 research universities in Canada, Memorial has more than 30 research centres and received more than $100 million in research funding in 2016-17. Memorial and its funding partners have long believed in investing in talented students and we’re proud to say we have more than 1,500 graduate fellowships and 850 PhD students.
Memorial’s research reputation is reflected in our international ranking:
- We’re ranked 7th in Maclean’s magazine’s top comprehensive schools category for 2019.
- In the Times Higher Education (THE) rankings, Memorial places within the top 600 universities globally, with several subject areas in the top 500 for 2019.
- According to the 2019 Academic Ranking of World Universities, Memorial ranks in the top 600 in the world.
- The 2019 QS World University Ranking placed Memorial in the top 700 universities globally.
Memorial’s faculty members have been recognized with numerous awards and honours. The Arctic Inspiration Prize, SSHRC Impact Awards (including Gold Medal and Insight Award), Governor General’s Innovation Award (2018 and 2019), and the UN’s Climate Solution Award are just a few of the national and international accolades that demonstrate Memorial’s place as a global research university. Many individuals affiliated with Memorial are nationally and internationally recognized including:
- 31 fellows of the Royal Society of Canada
- 21 Canada Research Chairs
- 16 fellows of the Canadian Academy of Engineering
- 11 fellows of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
Memorial’s faculty are widely recognized for their teaching and supervision, with many notable achievements and honours including nine recipients of 3M Teaching Fellowships, five recipients of the Atlantic Association of Universities’ Distinguished Teacher Award and two recipients of the Northeastern Association of Graduate Schools Geoffrey Marshall Mentoring Award.
Want examples of Memorial University’s creative and intellectual output? Visit Memorial’s Research Repository to review recent graduate theses.
Interested in finding a supervisor for your graduate research? Here are some tips that can help you with the process.