- PhD (McGill University)
- MA (University of Saskatchewan)
- BA Hon (University of Saskatchewan)
- Office: AA 3031
- Telephone: (709) 864-8983
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.faculty.mun.ca/jdeshaye/
Canadian literature, especially fiction and poetry; metaphor; celebrity; film; genre
- The Metaphor of Celebrity: Canadian Poetry and the Public, 1955-1980. University of Toronto Press, 2013.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Do I feel lucky?”: Moral Luck, Bluffing, and the Ethics of Eastwood’s Outlaw-Lawman in Coogan’s Bluff and the Dirty Harry Movies.” Film-Philosophy, vol. 21, no. 1, 2017, pp. 20–36.
- “Racialized Rooms and Technologies of Stardom in Ondaatje’s Coming through Slaughter.” The Journal of Commonwealth Literature, 2016, pp. 1-15. DOI: 10.1177/0021989416673865
- “Tom King’s John Wayne: The Western in Green Grass, Running Water.” Canadian Literature vol. 225, 2016, pp. 66-80.
- “Anthology on the Radio: Robert Weaver and CBC Radio’s Anthology.” Anthologizing Canadian Literature: Theoretical and Cultural Perspectives, edited by Robert Lecker, Wilfrid Laurier UP, 2015.
- “The Metaphor of Celebrity, Three Superheroes, and One Persona or Another.” The Journal of Popular Culture, vol. 47, no. 3, 2014, pp. 571-590.
Regularly Taught Courses
- English 2150: Modern Canadian Fiction
- English 2850: What Is Film?
- English 3158: Canadian Literature 1970 to the Present: City/Scape
- English 3848: The Western
- English 7069: Public Intellectuals in Canada
Honours And Graduate Supervision
- BA Hon: any topic in Canadian fiction, poetry, and film
- MA and PhD: twentieth-century and contemporary Canadian fiction and poetry, genre (especially but not only the Western), celebrity (especially in literature, of public intellectuals, or in Canadian music), and theories of metaphor, transnationalism, and ecocriticism