CICS for Students
The Co-operative Internship in Computer Science (CICS), formerly Computer Industry Internship Option (CIIO), is a collaborative effort between the Department of Computer Science, the co-operative education office for the Faculty of Science, and local, national and international employers. The CICS offers students the opportunity to combine in-class learning with industry experience.
Internships begin in January, May or September and are either 8, 12 or 16
months in duration. The work is full-time and paid at a rate determined by the
Students work in areas including software development, web and mobile
development, UI/UX design, cloud computing, security and privacy, data
science, robotics and artificial intelligence.
There are many advantages to completing an internship during your degree:
- Paid, practical experience in your field
- Enhanced professional networks, industry contacts and references
- More job options upon graduation
- Better understanding of what type of work you want to do upon
- Improved technical, professional and interpersonal skills
- Resume, cover letter preparation and interview skills
- Opportunity to bridge into permanent employment after graduation
- Stronger understanding of concepts from academic courses
Memorial University is a member of Co-operative Education and Work-
Integrated Learning Canada (CEWIL Canada); for a longer list of benefits of
co-operative education and internships for students, employers and
institutions visit their website.
Where Interns Work
CICS interns have worked with companies in Newfoundland and Labrador,
elsewhere in Canada and sometimes abroad. Students apply for work term
positions advertised publically, advertised through the Science Co-operative
Education Office or through an independent job search.
Some recent employers include:
- Clockwork Fox
- Hey Orca
- Other Ocean
- Beaufort Solutions
- Bluedrop Performance Learning
- Whitecap Scientific
- Co-Lab Software
- Sequence Bioinformatics
- Wood (formerly AMEC Foster Wheeler)
What Interns Say
“Gaining exposure to how things actually work in the real world is invaluable.
My co-op experience has been the highlight of my time in university.”
"The CICS has been incredibly valuable to my career development. Working at
CoLab Software has vastly improved my technical and interpersonal skills"
- Freddie Pike
“During my work term I have not only met many wonderful people and
opened many new career opportunities, it has also been a wonderful break
from school. On top of it all, the pay is wonderful.”
- John Carabudak
In order to be eligible for the CICS applicants must:
- be a declared Computer Science Major
- have successfully completed all the required courses from the old program including computer science 1710, 2710, 2711, 2742, 2760, 3716 plus six additional computer science credit hours at the 3000-level or the new program including computer science 1000, 1001, 1002, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 plus six additional computer science credit hours at the 3000-level
- have at least fifteen credit hours remaining after the internship in order to satisfy degree requirements, three credit hours of which must be in computer science courses
How to Apply
Admission to the CICS is competitive and selective. The application deadline
varies each semester, but is at least four months before the internship starts.
The deadline to apply is advertised through the Department of Computer
Science listserv. Email email@example.com to be added to the listserv.
For more information on the CICS Contact us.