Graduate housing

Should you live alone or get a roommate? Need a house or just a room? Like to walk or enjoy a commute? Simple questions? Don't kid yourself.

Finding the right place to live is an important part of graduate school. You know what kind of environment works best for your lifestyle, so don't compromise.

That's why you have options. We offer on and off campus housing choices for you, so you can find a place to call home.

On-Campus Residences for Graduate Students

Looking for the convenience of living on campus? Full-time graduate students are eligible for two types of on-campus residence (provided space is available): Burton’s Pond Apartments and Feild Hall Residence.

Burton’s Pond Apartments are great for independent living while still offering students the benefits of living on-campus. For students with dependents, there are a number of designated family units available.

Just a 10-minute walk to class means getting home in record time. With utilities and WiFi included, you’ll have the benefits of on-campus living with the freedom of your own place. It’s a convenient, quiet and affordable place to live and study.

Each student apartment accommodates two students, each with a private bedroom, a shared kitchen, a shared office/study space, bathroom and living/dining room. All apartments are fully furnished. The complex includes a laundry room, mail boxes and access to the Internationalization Office.

Apartments are allotted by date of housing application. Family accommodation is assigned according to a priority system.

Single (in Burton’s Pond) - $2,408 per semester (heat and light included)
Family (in Burton’s Pond) - $1,047 per month (heat and light included)

Additional information regarding Burton’s Pond Apartments can be found on the Student Residences website.

Feild Hall Residence is located on the north side of campus. The first floor houses Bitters Restaurant and Lounge, and the second floor houses the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) offices and departmental offices for students. The third and fourth floors contain 29 single rooms for graduate students. Each room is fully furnished, and share a kitchen and men’s and women’s washrooms and showers on each floor.

Off-campus housing

The majority of graduate students at Memorial University live off campus, thanks to the availability of low-cost accommodations near the university. Variety in housing, from individual rooms, apartments, and houses, are available to graduate students.

You can search for off-campus housing through Kijiji, NLClassifieds, and Facebook Marketplace. Please note that Memorial University does not maintain these sites and is not responsible for any issues that may arise with off campus housing found obtained through these sites. It is important to always view the property prior to sending deposits or signing leases.

Signal Hill Campus Graduate Student Accommodations

Memorial's Signal Hill Campus Graduate Student Accommodations is located on historic Signal Hill in St. John’s, and about a 40 minute walk or an eight minute drive from Memorial University’s St. John’s campus. Living at the Signal Hill Campus provides Memorial graduate students with a chance to be a part of a dynamic community that contributes to advancing Memorial’s Public Engagement Framework and offers a range of opportunities relating to public engagement.

Each room has its own personal bathroom facility and comes complete with bed, furniture, as well as a refrigerator. Modern communal kitchens and common areas are available that include all amenities as well as stoves and microwaves. Laundry facilities are also located on site with modern washing and drying machines that are conveniently operated using your university campus card.

Single (at Signal Hill) - $700 and up per month

Graduate students can apply by submitting an application form and a non-refundable application fee of $40 (Canadian funds). For more information please visit Signal Hill Campus Graduate Student Accommodations website.

International students

In addition to the above resources, international graduate students may wish to contact the Settlements Program Coordinator for advice on how to find an apartment, information on cost of living, and managing relationships with landlords and roommates. For more information, please refer to the Internationalization Office website.

Grenfell Campus

For information regarding on-campus housing at Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook, please visit the Student Housing at Grenfell Campus website.


Become a Graduate Student

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000