Map the System
Looking to contribute to social change on a local or global level? Take part in the 2018 Map the System Challenge!
Deadline to register: January 22, 2018
What is the Map the System challenge?
Map the System challenge is an opportunity for students and recent graduates to learn more about the issues they care about, and to present their findings to a broad audience. Tackling global challenges with credibility starts with understanding a problem and its wider context – rather than jumping straight into a business plan or an idea for a quick fix. Participants in the challenge are asked to demonstrate a deep understanding of a pressing social or environmental issue by mapping out the current solutions landscape and identifying missing opportunities for positive change.
Participant eligibility criteria
- Participants can apply for Map the System as an individual or in a team of up to 5 people.
- At least one member of the team must be a current student at Memorial university (enrolled on a course of 6 months or longer), OR a recent graduate (i.e. having completed studies within 12 months of the date they register for the competition). Non-students, or students from another institution, may join a team as long as at least one member is a current student/recent graduate of Memorial University.
- Students may be at undergraduate, diploma, postgraduate, or doctoral level, or a recent graduate within twelve months of the application deadline.
How does it work?
Students are required to submit their proposed topic and the names of the individual or team members wishing to participate by January 22 2018.
Students have until March 26, 2018 to submit their final materials via an online form. By that date they need to submit three documents:
- Visual map or chart
- Analysis of research
Shortlisting and selection
Each team will present to the Memorial judges in March 2018. The winning team or individual will be invited to the Map the System Canadian Final event.
Map the System Canadian Final event
Teams from across Canada will compete to win a place at the Map the System Global Final in Oxford. The national event will span two days. There will be opportunities to network with other participants, receive pre-competition feedback, and finally, two rounds of presentations in front of a panel of judges.
Map the System Global Final event
The final event will be held at the University of Oxford, UK, where teams from all over the world will present their ideas to compete for the three top prizes. The final presentation event, finalists will attend a traditional Oxford College dinner, and receive a keynote address by an influential social impact leader.
- The winning team/individual from Memorial will be provided with the opportunity to travel to the Canadian Finals, with all travel expeses covered.
- Following the Canadian Final on 5-6 May 2018, the top two teams will receive $2,500 CAD per team and free trip and accommodation to Map the System Global Final 2018
- Following the Global Final on 1-3 June 2018, the top three entries of Map the System will receive:
1st place - £3,000 cash prize ($5,000 CAD) prize and tickets to Emerge 2018, including travel allowance
2nd place - £2,000 cash prize ($3,000 CAD) prize and tickets to Emerge 2018, including travel allowance
3rd place - £1,000 cash prize ($1500 CAD) prize and tickets to Emerge 2018, including travel allowance
For more information about the Map the System Challenge, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Map the System website