Personal Safety Tips
On the Street
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy about a situation or person, remove yourself from that situation.
- Use the MUN Safe Friend Walk feature when walking alone at night and let people know where you will be, and what time to expect you.
- Walk in groups for safety sake.
- Avoid dark and deserted areas.
- Be aware of alternate routes and safe places.
- Plan your route. Avoid shortcuts through dark, untraveled areas. Take the most direct, frequently travelled route.
- Be Alert. Walk with confidence.
- Familiarize yourself with locations of the campus emergency phones
- Never carry large amounts of money, or show it in public.
- If you think you are being followed, go to the nearest public place, activate the MUN Safe Mobile Blue Light feature or call Campus Enforcement and Patrol at 864-4100.
- When working or studying alone at night, consider staying in contact with Campus Enforcement and Patrol at 864-8561, option 3.
- Lock your doors and windows when not in your room or house. If you share your unit with others, ensure that their guests understand that your room/space is off limits.
- Keep a record, with serial numbers, of your valuables.
- Ensure laptop and desktop computers are secured using locks and cables available at retail stores or online.
- Don’t keep large amounts of cash in your room.
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight.
- Draw your curtains or window shades when not at home.
- Question strangers in residence and call Campus Enforcement and Patrol if they don’t belong.
In Your Car
- Do not pick up hitchhikers.
- Lock your doors when you are in your vehicle.
- Walk to your vehicle quickly with keys in hand.
- If you feel unsafe, call Campus Enforcement and Patrol at 864-8561 to request an escort to your car.
- If you are being followed, do not drive home. Drive to Campus Enforcement and Patrol headquarters (Facilities Management Building) or the nearest police station.
- Park your car in a well-lit, well-travelled area
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight. Secure them in your trunk or locked glove box.
In your Office/Study Space
- Do not prop open doors.
- Always lock your door when you leave your office, even for a short time.
- If a door is unable to be secured, call Campus Enforcement and Patrol at 864-8561, option 3.
- Lock your wallet or purse in a desk drawer.
- Report lost or missing access cards or keys immediately to your supervisor.
- Don’t loan keys or access cards to anyone.
At the Library
- Do not bring valuables into the library if you will be there for an extended period of time.
- Do not leave your books, purse, wallet, mobile electronic devices, laptops, or any other valuables unattended even for a short time.
- Report any suspicious persons to library staff or Campus Enforcement and Patrol.