International Giving

Whether near or far, alumni and friends of Memorial University are a valuable part of our community, and you don’t have to live in Canada to show your support.

American Residents:
Alumni: Memorial University alumni and their families (ie. spouses, children, grandchildren, parents, siblings) may make donations directly to the University in either Canadian or U.S. dollars. Under the Canada-United States Income Tax Convention, the charitable tax receipt you receive from the University can be used for U.S. income tax returns.

Non-Alumni: American residents who are not alumni or related to alumni of Memorial University, as well as corporations and foundations, can contribute through Friends of Memorial University Foundation, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization recognized under the US Internal Revenue Code. 

When making your gift to the Friends of Memorial University, please indicate your preferred designation for the use of the funds by Memorial. For example, “I would prefer that these funds be designated to the Jennifer Doe Scholarship at Memorial University”

Contact Dr. Penny Blackwood, Executive Director, Development, at, or by phone at 709-691-5534, for more information.

Friends of Memorial University
c/o Roha & Flaherty, Attorneys at Law
Suite 300
1725 | St NW
Washington, DC, 20006-2423  USA
Phone: 202-833-0033
EIN (tax ID): 52-1406340

Residents of Other Countries:
Memorial University accepts donations from residents of all countries. However, as we do not have a formal treaty or other arrangement with countries other than the United States, we encourage residents from other countries to consult their own financial advisors for tax advantages pertaining to philanthropic gifts towards Memorial.

If you would like to speak directly to someone about making a gift to Memorial University, please call 1 (709) 864-2321, (709) 864-4875, toll free at 1-877-700-4081 or email

Charitable Registration Number: 10769 0273 RR0001