Why English @ Memorial?
The English Department is a dynamic and productive community of 23 full-time faculty members engaged in active research programs, graduate supervision, and publication of literary scholarship and creative writing.
The following ten research clusters represent particular concentrations of strength and focus, and can help connect you to the faculty members working in those areas. The diversity of research interests among our faculty fosters a wonderfully vibrant and supportive research environment for all members of the Department, from faculty to students.
Colonial and Postcolonial
Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries
Environmental and Energy Humanities
Medieval and Early Modern
Newfoundland and Labrador
Studies of Visual Narrative
Description of programs
- Graduate diploma - Disciplinary graduate diplomas provide an opportunity to acquire additional academic credentials at the graduate level without committing to a full master's program. These programs allow students to expand on their knowledge of a particular discipline and may also be used for professional development within their careers.
- MA – The MA program offers both course and thesis options. The course option can be completed in one year of full-time study while the thesis option can be completed in two years.
- PhD – The PhD program involves courses, a comprehensive exam, and a thesis. It can normally be completed in four years of full-time study.
Contact a faculty supervisor
Graduate applicants interested in research-based programs are strongly encouraged to contact a faculty supervisor at the time of application. Visit the Department of English website for a list of faculty members, their research interests, and contact information. You may also use the Yaffle search engine to find a supervisor you may wish to work with.
Minimum admission requirements
- Graduate diploma, MA – Bachelor's degree (minimum second class honours) in an appropriate area of study, with 20 courses in English and minimum 80% in English courses
- PhD – Master's degree in English with minimum 80% in graduate courses
Important Note: The information provided on this website is subject to change. The University Calendar is the final authority on university fees and regulations.
Graduate diploma, MA, PhD
Graduate diploma: 1 year
MA: 1-2 years
PhD: 4 years
January 15 for Fall admission
Tuition (NL students):
Graduate diploma: $420/semester
Tuition (Other Canadian students):
Graduate diploma: $546/semester
Tuition (International students):
Graduate diploma: $710/semester
Departmental WebsiteGet More InformationUniversity Calendar