Program of Study: Bachelor of Arts (French)
Sean Kennedy, who has already graduated from Memorial with a Bachelor of Science degree in Cell and Molecular Biology, is a distinguished leader and volunteer within his community. Since starting his undergraduate studies in 2011, Sean has been actively involved in many committees and unions on campus which have allowed him to become a leader among his peers.
Sean's time at Memorial have involved him serving as an active volunteer in a number of university-related organizations. While completing his study abroad program in Nice, Sean volunteered with AFEV Nice, an organization designed to fight against inequalities in the working-class. During his time in Nice, Sean acted as a mentor to a recent immigrant child to France by helping expose him to French culture and helping improve the child's academic performance. Furthermore, Sean has also acted as the director for Radhoc Youth Leadership. In this role Sean coordinated and helped deliver an annual youth conference for 100 high school participants as well as worked with the Office of Public Engagement to develop a strategy to increase youth engagement.
In addition to his volunteer experience, Sean has also been heavily involved with numerous committees on campus. Some of these committees include:
- Senate (2014-2015; 2016-2017)
- Senate Committee on Course Evaluation (2012-2015)
- Senate Committee on Undergraduate Studies (2014-2015)
- Executive Committee of Senate (2014-2015)
- Faculty of Science Faculty Council (2012-2014)
- Faculty of Science Committee on Undergraduate Studies (2013-2014)
- Review Committee for Dean of Science (2013-2014)
- Search Committee for Associate Dean of Science (2013-2014)
- Search Committee for General Counsel (2014-2015)
- Search Committee for Sexual Harassment Advisor (2014-2015)
- Sexual Harassment Advisory Board (2014-2015)
Sean's on-campus activity also includes him serving as the Executive Director of Advocacy within MUNSU. This elected position saw Sean balance his full-time academic studies with the responsibility to serve as an advocate and advisor for students facing a variety of academic and non-academic problems.
Throughout his undergraduate studies, Sean has received several distinguished awards and scholarships, including:
- Dr. Leslie Harris Memorial University Alumni Association Scholarship (2011 to 2012)
- Colbourne Family Scholarship (2014 to 2016)
Sean is noted for his exceptional commitment and enthusiasm to both his academic and non-academic responsibilities. It is Sean's determination and leadership ability that has allowed him to excel at Memorial and serve as an inspiration to other students.