US Student Aid (Title IV)

Memorial University is an eligible foreign institution for U.S. Financial Aid and the Federal Code is G09500.

Steps to Apply

Students from the U.S. who are interested in participating in the Stafford (Direct Lending) Program should contact the Scholarships and Awards Office at An INFORMATION SHEET will be helpful in determining the first steps for students interested in the Direct Lending loans.

NOTE:  If you’re a first-year undergraduate student and a first-time borrower, you will have to wait 30 days after the first day of your enrollment period (semester) for your first disbursement.

Applying for US direct loans outside of the U.S. is different than applying in the U.S. Typically you are notified by the Department of Education that the university on your FAFSA application will be notified. As a foreign school, we do not receive these notifications

You will need to complete a Direct Loan Funding application and then forward it to this office indicating your intention to apply for a US Direct loan. It should be sent to

U.S. Student Loan Processing Deadlines for 2019/20

For Fall 2019, the FASFA, Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counselling (for new applicants) should be completed by June 14, 2019 to allow sufficient time for processing.   

Final Deadline - To ensure federal aid is credited to a student's account before the end of the semester, all information should be submitted no later than 30 days before the last day of classes.

Eligible Programs

All bachelor's, master's and PhD programs are eligible for Direct loan programs, while certificate and diploma programs for both undergraduate and graduate students are not eligible.  

Memorial University students going on an exchange can receive U.S. Direct loans only if the exchange school is located outside of the United States and participates in the U.S. Direct Loan program.     

SAP Policy

U.S. Department of Education regulations provide specific requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress. Each institution approved to disburse Title IV Aid must formulate and follow a SAP policy. SAP is a measure of whether a student is progressing adequately toward completion of his or her course of study. Students must be meeting the SAP guidelines to continue receiving Direct Loans at Memorial. Please review the following policy carefully:

SAP POLICY - Undergraduate students

SAP POLICY - Graduate students

Return to Title IV (R2T4) Policy

If a student receiving Title IV aid withdraws during the semester, the institution must determine if these funds are required to be returned to the U.S. Government.  Please review the following policy carefully:


Exit Counselling

You must complete Exit Counselling and begin repayment of your student loans when you leave your studies (graduation, withdrawal or course load reduction to less than half-time).

Educational In-School Deferment

You may request deferment of repayment of U.S. student loans using the In-School Deferment Request form. Submit your signed form to the Scholarships Office for completion.

Leave of Absence (For Graduate students who are Deferment only and do not receive U.S. Student Aid and for U.S. Students who do receive U.S. student aid) – The School of Graduate studies may approve a leave of absence from your Program if requested. You must also notify your Loan service provider and the International Student Coordinator at the Scholarships office regarding your approved leave of absence (LOA). If the approved LOA is greater than 6 months (which the U.S. Department of Education deems as your grace period), you will be considered as withdrawn and there will be repayment implications.  This does not affect your LOA status with the University.

Other U.S. Loan funding

Sallie Mae Smart loan

Vermont Student Assistance Corp. (VSAC)

USDL Consumer Information

As per the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008, the U.S. government requires institutions offering U.S. Direct Loans to disclose consumer education

For Additional Information

If you require further information about the information contained on this page, please email us at

Important information from the U.S. Department of Education:

  • Students studying at Memorial University are eligible only for the Direct Loan portion of financial aid. Students cannot receive grants such as Pell, FSEOG and FWS grants.

  • Students receiving Federal Student Aid cannot enroll in any distance courses. The Department of Education deems that a program of education that is offered by a foreign institution (schools outside of the United States) in whole or in part by telecommunications is not an eligible program. Therefore, student’s enrolled in such courses or programs will not qualify for FSA funds.  IF YOU TAKE DISTANCE COURSES WHILE RECEIVING US STUDENT AID, FUTURE FUNDING WILL CEASE.

  • A student with an intellectual disability is eligible for Federal Pell, FSEOG, and FWS grants only and is ineligible for Title IV Direct Loans. For more information from the U.S. Department of Education, please see the following link.
  • Medicine and Nursing students do not qualify for Direct Lending
  • All courses taught through Queen's College, the Harlow campus, and the Frecker Institute do not qualify for Direct Lending.
  • As of July 2012, graduate students no longer qualify for subsidized Direct Loans. 100% of graduate Direct Loans are now unsubsidized.


Scholarships / Bursaries / Awards and other Financial Aid

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000