An accelerated nursing student's experience...
NEW requirement: CASPer– Applicants are required to complete an on-line assessment (CASPer). Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory to maintain admission eligibility. To learn more about CASPer, which helps assess applicants for non-academic attributes or people skills, go to https://takealtus.com/
*Note: Applicants do not have to complete CASPer snapshot.
CASPer test dates for Memorial University (Undergraduate Nursing) for Fall 2023:
Nov 3, 2022 - 8:00 PM EST
Dec 6, 2022 - 5:00 PM EST
Jan 19, 2023- 5:00 PM EST
Feb 2, 2023 - 8:00 PM EST
To book your CASPer test, please visit the CASPer website.
The Accelerated Option is available for applicants who have completed 60 credit hours or more at the university level. This 3-Year option runs over eight consecutive semesters. Admission to the the Accelerated Option of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Collaborative) Program is competitive. The application will open mid-October, 2022 and will close January 20, 2023. See here to apply.
Who Can Apply?
Priority for admission is given to residents of Newfoundland and Labrador, but out-of-province and international applicants are encouraged to apply. Before you apply, be sure to review our admissions web pages for current Memorial University students and other post-secondary students. Applicants for the accelerated option must ensure that they have met or are in the process of meeting the Admission Requirements outlined below.
Academic Admission Requirements for the Accelerated Option:
A) Required High School Courses:
Biology 2201 and 3201, or their equivalents
Chemistry 3202, or equivalent
Math 3200 or 3201, or equivalent
Applicants must ensure that they have the two required biology courses completed in high school OR both completed at the post-secondary level - these courses are a pair and must be both completed at the same level. For example, Memorial University's Biology 1001 and 1002 meets the biology admission requirement for Nursing. ONE of Memorial University's Chemistry 1010, 1050, 1051, 1200, 1810, or 1001 meets the chemistry admission requirement for Nursing. Three credit hours in math at the post-secondary level meets the math admission requirement.
B) A minimum of 60 credit hours at the university level, which must be completed by the end of the Winter semester in the year of applying.
The 60 credit hours at the university level must include 12 credit hours from the following list:
Six credit hours in a Critical Reading and Writing (CRW) designated courses in English
Three credit hours in Sociology, Anthropology or Archaeology
Psychology 1000, or equivalent
Biochemistry 1430, or equivalent
Biology 3053 (Microbiology), or equivalent
Statistics 2500, (or Statistics 1510, 2550, Education 2900, Psyc 2910, 2925) or a statistics course acceptable to the faculty
Three credit hours in Philosophy, or Religious Studies 2610
PLEASE NOTE: Each of the courses listed above must be completed for the degree. Any of the courses listed above not completed prior to admission must be completed during the sequence of the Accelerated Option of the BN Program.
C) A minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale either as a cumulative GPA, degree GPA, or in the last 60 credit hours
D) A minimum of 12 credit hours per semester in two of the last six semesters completed at the university level
- The Accelerated Option is offered at Memorial University's Faculty of Nursing and the Western Regional School of Nursing. It is not available at the Centre for Nursing Studies.
- Applicants who wish to also be considered for admission into the 4-Year Option must submit a separate application for that option by January 20.
- Applicants must ensure that all supporting documents are received by the application deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required documentation, including your reference letter(s), required transcripts, and proof of Indigenous ancestry (if applicable) are submitted by the nursing documentation submission deadline.
- Applicants can log into their application account to confirm whether documents have been received by the admissions department. If you need to inquire about a missing document, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
- To be eligible for admission to the Accelerated Option, applicants must also meet the general admission/readmission requirements to Memorial University if not a current Memorial University student.