Honours in History
The honours degree program in history at Memorial University is a rigorous and rewarding program of study for history majors interested in developing a piece of independent research and writing.
Honours students in history develop the necessary skills and preparation for graduate school, law school, or work in the heritage sector.
(The following is taken from the 2012/2013 University Calendar section 9.19.2 and is subject to change - please refer to the latest version to ensure accuracy. If there are any discrepancies between this listing and the listing prepared by the Registrar's office, the Registrar's office official listing will be taken as correct.)
- Honours Degree Students intending to take an Honours Degree with a Major in History must comply with the Regulations for the Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts.
- For consideration as entrants during the Fall semester, students must make application by 30 June; for the Winter semester, by 1 November. Applications received after 30 June will be considered for the Winter semester; applications received after 1 November will be considered for the next Fall semester. Students intending to complete an Honours degree in History will be assisted by a faculty advisor who will help them in planning their academic programs. The academic programs for Honours students must be approved by the Head or delegate.
- Students are required to complete at least 60 credit hours in History, 45 chosen in accordance with the pattern set out in the Departmental General Degree Regulation No. 4 above. In addition, students must complete History 4800, 4821, 4822, and 4999. The minimum grades required are: (a) 70%, or an average of 75%, in the prescribed number of courses, and (b) 70% in History 4999.
- Students electing Joint Honours are required to complete at least 51 credit hours in History, 39 chosen in accordance with the pattern set out in the Departmental General Degree Regulation No. 4 above. In addition, students must complete History 4800, 4821, and 4822, with grades prescribed in Honours Degree Regulation No. 3. If the student chooses to do the Honours Essay (4999) in History, it must be passed with a grade of 70% or better.
- No more than 27 transfer credit hours may be included in the minimum 60 credit hours required for the Honours degree in History.