- Post-Doctorate Fellowship: Awarded by Associated Medical Services and held at the Demographic Data Base (DDB), Umeå University (2003, 2004).
- Post-Doctorate Fellowship: Awarded by the Wellcome Trust and held at the Cambridge Group for the History of Population and Social Structure (HPSS), Cambridge University (2002-3).
- Ph.D. Carnegie Mellon University (2000)
- M.A. Carnegie Mellon University (1995)
- B.Ed Lakehead University (1990)
- B.A. Brock University (1989)
Department of History
St. John’s, NL A1C 5S7
Tel. (709) 864-8439
Fax (709) 864-2164
Modern European social history, history of medicine, child and maternal mortality, diffusion and dissemination of medical knowledge, recruitment of Swedish seamen, Swedish history.
Current Research Projects
At present I am engaged in three research projects:
- The first examines the efforts of 19th-century Swedish midwives to bring academic medicine to a relatively isolated part of the country.
- The second project explores the mechanisms that enabled medical knowledge to spread throughout 19th-century Europe.
- I am also studying patterns of childhood infectious diseases in the Sundsvall region of Sweden during the second half of the nineteenth century. A fourth project is planned that will examine patterns of rural recruitment of seamen in that region.