Explore Your Career
A career is much more than a job or occupation, and it is not a linear process. Career planning is ongoing and life-long. It involves understanding and exploring all of your options with purpose and making informed decisions.
Assess your interests, values and aptitude.
- Contact the Career Development Office to complete the Strong Interest Inventory, an assessment that provides insight into your interests and skills for potential careers
- Check out some online exercises you can use to assess yourself and determine careers that may be suitable for you
- Gain insight by exploring these career assessment tools
Plan your career path.
- Navigate your career with this Career Planning Checklist
- Use labour market information to help guide your career choices
- Explore careers using Career Cruising (contact your career advisor for login credentials)
- Check out various careers by major to see what you can do in a specific field
- Use myIDP to create an individual development plan (IDP) to help you explore career possibilities and set goals to follow the career path that fits you best
- Consider career exploration and preparation options such as the Entrepreneurship Training Program or Professional Skills Development Program
Connect with potential employers and gain valuable experience.
- Attend the Career and Graduate School Fair to learn more about various career opportunities
- Check out Career Week to build skills, network and find out about career options
- Apply for an externship to get practical work experience
- Join the St. John's Board of Trade Connector Program to build your professional network
- Are you a PhD student? Consider a Doctoral Internship to gain valuable work experience during your program!