Career Week 2014
Calendar of Events:
Monday February 24, 2014
10:00-11:00am: The Art of Small Talk, UC-4002
- Networking starts with small talk! Come to this session to learn tips on how to start a conversation at a networking event.
11:00am-2:00pm: Summer Job Fair, The Landing, UC-3018
- Memorial University in partnership with College of the North Atlantic is hosting its first ever Summer Job Fair! This event will be open to students from Memorial University and College of the North Atlantic to discuss opportunities for summer employment. To ensure all students benefit across our many campuses there will be a virtual component to this event, where students in other areas of the province can view and apply on summer jobs. Come join us on February 24th, 2014 from 11am-2pm on the 3rd Floor, University Centre(UC), Memorial University, St. John's Campus and find a great summer job! For a complete list of exhibitors please visit www.mun.ca/cdel/career_students/summerjobfair.php
10:30am-1:00pm: EDGE Speakers Event and Networking Luncheon, RBC Atrium, Faculty of Business
- Speaker: John Baker, Entrepreneur, President and CEO of Desire2Learn (D2L) Kick off Career Week, hear John’s story, and learn about the professional skills and experience you need to succeed in your future career!Admission is free and lunch will be served. Register: email: firstname.lastname@example.org by February 21st.
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
11:00am-12:00pm: Perfecting your Professional Presence, The Loft, 3rd Floor UC
- Portraying a professional presence is key to career success. Join us at this session for tips on how to perfect your own professional presence.
12:00-1:00pm: Getting Out There: Transitioning from School to Work, The Landing, UC-3018
- Transitioning from school to the world of work can be daunting. If you are a new or soon-to-be grad looking for tips on how to navigate the transition, this is the session for you!
12:00-1:30pm: Think Intellectual Property has Nothing to do with You? Think Again!, Beatrice Watts Boardroom, IIC-2014
- Presenter: Dr. Faye Murrin; Register: e-mail email@example.com by February 21st
1:00-2:00pm: The Alumni Perspective: A Q&A Session, The Loft, 3rd Floor UC
- Come chat with experienced alumni who have had success in their field and how they got to where they are today!
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
11:00am-12:00pm: What can I do with a Science Degree?, The Landing, UC-3018
- Are you wondering what you can do with your science degree? Wonder no longer, as this session will provide some insight into where your science degree can take you!
12:00-1:00pm: Tips from a HR Professional, The Loft, 3rd Floor UC
- Looking for some tips on how to get your resume noticed or how to impress in that interview? Come hear from an HR professional about best practices when trying to hook that job!
1:00-2:00pm: Job Search Workshop, The Landing, UC-3018
- Did you know approximately 80% of jobs are not promoted in the 'open' job market? Come to this session for tips on how to find the 'hidden' job that you are looking for.
6:00-9:00pm: Dining Etiquette, Junior Common Room, R. Gushue Hall
- Need better table manners? Attend the Dining Etiquette Workshop!
Network with alumni and enjoy a 3-course meal. Learn how to meet, greet and mingle like a pro; the art of the handshake; how to make an entrance and work the room; dining do's and don'ts. Tickets are $25 for students, $30 for alumni, and can be purchased online until February 21 (credit or cash only). To purchase tickets go to: https://crm.stuaff.mun.ca/events
Thursday, February 27, 2014
11:00am-1:00pm: CDEL Resume Clinic, The Loft, 3rd Floor UC
- Looking to spruce up your resume? We can help! Bring your resume to The Landing and let our resume rockstars work with you to get it into tip top shape!
12:00-1:00pm: What can I do with an Arts Degree?, Career Development and Experiential Learning, UC-4002
- Are you wondering what you can do with your Arts degree? Wonder no longer, as this session will provide some insight into where your arts degree can take you!
1:00-2:00pm: Scavenger Hunt, The Loft, 3rd Floor UC
- Come on up, have some fun, win some prizes and do a little learning at the Career Week 2014 Scavenger Hunt! Bring along a friend or do it solo (max. of 2 people per team) and spend an hour finding out about careers in a fun way. Registration will begin at 1:00pm in the Loft, 3rd Floor UC!
For more information on Career Week 2014 contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org