Please Enter a Search Term

Social Insurance Number

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number issued by the Government of Canada that individuals require in order to get paid.

You are eligible for a SIN card if you have:

  • a Work Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) or
  • a Study Permit issued by CIC and a contract of employment from Memorial/employer on campus. (this contract must show the start and end date of employment and these dates must fall within the study permit dates).

To apply you must go in person to the Service Canada building (see information below) and bring with you:

  • a completed application form,
  • your Work Permit or contract of employment (visit the Service Canada Website for information on what the contract should include) NOTE: the contract must be printed on the letterhead of the department
  • an original of a primary document that proves your identity and status in Canada (your study permit for example). You must provide a supporting document if the name on your primary document is different from the one you are currently using. Original documents should be written in English or French.
  • Application forms are available at the local Service Canada office or the International Student Advising office.

You can take Metrobus route 2 in front of Arts Building to Service Canada which is located at 223 Churchill Avenue. Please refer to the Service Canada website for specific details on how to apply for a SIN.

Your SIN will start with the number ‘9’ and will be valid until the end of your authorized stay in Canada, that is, until your Study Permit expires. So when you renew your immigration documents, be sure to renew your Social Insurance Number!