Frequently Asked Questions

Are all the courses available online?

Many courses required for the police studies major are available online however, not all courses that are required for the Bachelor of Arts degree are available. Students may be able to take courses at another university and transfer them to Memorial. You need to check with the Office of the Registrar.

Can the BA Major in Criminology be done as a second or joint major?

Yes – as long as your other major is single disciplinary in nature - see Calendar regulations for interdisciplinary major programs.

How many PLAR credits will I get for my police or military training?

This will depend on the training - students may receive up to a maximum of 30 credit hours for accepted police training programs.

How do I apply for PLAR credits?

Contact the Office of the Registrar at

What can I do with this degree?

To work in many areas of policing you will often need some further job specific training.  You could apply for police constable training, correctional officer training or further degree programs such as social work, criminology & law.  Work as a civilian within policing, the criminal justice system, in government or private industry, in policy development, etc.