The Divison of Marketing and Communications provides access to the most up-to-date information released by Memorial University of Newfoundland. Archives of previous news releases are also available.
To access news releases from Grenfell Campus please click here.
REF NO.: 16
SUBJECT: Celebrating the university experience during MUNdays 2015
DATE: Oct. 9
The Memorial University community will take a breather during the busy fall semester to make memories to last a lifetime during its annual fall celebrations, MUNdays, next week.
A full itinerary of events and activities are planned, encouraging students, staff, faculty and alumni to come together and celebrate spirit at Memorial. On the East Coast, I Love MUNdays and I Love MI MUNdays takes place Oct. 15-19; on the West Coast, I Love Grenfell MUNdays takes place Oct. 23-28.
Be sure to follow along in the fun on the MUNdays Twitter feed @ilovemundays with the #MUNdays2015 hashtag and the Facebook page at I Love MUNdays.
MUNdays highlights the diversity, ingenuity, excellence, kindness and community spirit that set Memorial apart from all other post-secondary institutions.
St. John’s campus
From Oct. 15-19 on the St. John’s and Marine Institute campuses there will be tons of fun to choose from. Just some of the highlights on the St. John’s campus will be competitors cooking on Coleman stoves to become the next Disaster Chef, the perennially loud Spirit Parade, the Kindness Friday Fill-the-Square food drive and the MUNdays Skate.
At the Marine Institute, everyone is invited to chow down at the free and scrumptious Breakfast Bazaar, get in on the action at the Floor Hockey Tournament and check out some unusual books at the Dr. C.R. Barrett Living Library. Students can “borrow” human “books” from various career backgrounds for a 30-minute open conversation to explore potential career paths.
From Oct. 23-28 at Grenfell Campus, there’s a lot to celebrate. A party this big has been four decades in the making! Memorial’s West Coast campus will mark its 40th anniversary with a great night of live music, dancing and entertainment with The Once at The Backlot, with a tour of beautiful Bonne Bay during its best season of the year and by supporting local arts and craftspeople at the Grenfell Market.
And for all of Memorial’s campuses, many class and faculty reunions are taking place. From Grenfell’s first class being invited back to mark the campus’s 40th anniversary to the Frecker Institute’s first-ever reunion in St. Pierre to the 1965 Beothuks Hockey Championship reunion, there are a number of notable anniversaries being recognized by the Memorial community.
President Kachanoski himself will also mark some major milestones: alumni celebrating 50 years of graduation from the Parade Street and Elizabeth Avenue campuses will be recognized at the President’s Golden Celebration.
The topper of the fun-filled week for alumni, friends and students will be the Super TSC Night Concert at the Rock House on George Street in St. John’s. Memories of former concerts and parties held in the revered Thomson Student Centre (TSC) will be relived and will inspire getting down on the dance floor. Hosted by local comedian Matt Wright, the concert features an all-star lineup with performances by The Secrets, Barry Canning and Billy and the Bruisers. Alumni and friends are all invited!
Events of particular interest to members of the media:
St. John’s campus:
- Thursday, Oct. 15: Disaster Chef, Bruneau Centre atrium, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 15: Student Innovation Showcase, University Centre, UC-3018, 1-3 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 16: Spirit Parade, St. John’s campus, 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 16: Fill The Square food drive, Paton College Court, all day
- Saturday, Oct. 17: Super TSC Night Concert, Rock House, George Street, 7-12 p.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 18: President’s Golden Celebration, School of Music, 7-9:30 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 19: Three-Minute Thesis, R. Gushue Hall, 1-3 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 19: 34th annual Alumni Tribute Awards, Sheraton Hotel, 6-9 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 15: Breakfast Bazaar, MI Cafeteria, 8-10 a.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 15: Living Library, Dr. C.R. Barrett Library, 12-2 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 16: Floor Hockey Tournament, MI Gym, 5-10 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 17: MUNdays Skate, Paradise Double Ice Complex, 12:30-2:30 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 23: 40th Anniversary Concert with The Once, The Backlot, 8-10 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 24: VP Invitational Basketball Tournament, Grenfell gym, 9 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 25: Teddy Bear Clinic, Arts and Science atrium, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 27: Grenfell Market, Arts and Science atrium, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 28: Lunch Around the World, Arts and Science atrium, 1-4 p.m.
For the full schedule of events on the St. John’s campus, please visit www.mun.ca/mundays. For Grenfell Campus, please visit www.grenfell.mun.ca/love-grenfell/Pages/default.aspx. For the Marine Institute, please visit www.mi.mun.ca/mimundays.
- 30 -
For more information, please contact Dave Sorensen, communications, Memorial University, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 709-864-2143.