A Living Memorial
Memorial University College was established in 1925 as a living memorial to the Newfoundlanders who had lost their lives on active service during the First World War.
In light of the great loss suffered during the previous war, Newfoundland didn’t impose a draft during the Second World War, 1939-1945. However many Newfoundlanders still volunteered. Of those recruits, 310 former students of the Memorial University College offered themselves for active service. Regrettably, 30 of these students lost their lives. Their names are proudly recorded in the front of the university's Calendar each year.
In the Arts and Administration Building on the St. John's campus a commemorative plaque, erected by the Newfoundland Command of the Royal Canadian Legion, features this dedication:
This University was raised by the People of Newfoundland as a Memorial to the fallen in the Great Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945, that in freedom of learning their cause and sacrifice may not be forgotten.
The plaque was unveiled by HRH the Princess Royal, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Newfoundland, on Sept. 21, 1964, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the formation of the regiment in 1914.