Dr. Mohammed Taleb-Berrouane is the geno-MIC Project Manager for the project “Managing Microbial Corrosion in Canadian Offshore & Onshore Oil Production Operations.” (geno-MIC.ca) for Memorial University (MUN). Others involved with the multi-institutional project include the University of Calgary, University of Alberta, Dalhousie University, VIA University College, Oklahoma University and DNV-GL.
In addition to the project management tasks, Dr. Taleb-Berrouane is actively involved in teaching and research at MUN and the Centre for Risk, Integrity and Safe Engineering (C-RISE) since 2015. He is a Sessional Instructor at MUN’s Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.
Dr. Taleb-Berrouane completed his Ph.D. in 2017 at Algeria’s Institute of Maintenance and Industrial Safety in collaboration with C-RISE. His research related to Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) analysis of safety-critical systems. He also completed his second PhD at MUN in the Oil and Gas Engineering discipline - major in Asset Integrity Management. His research project focused on developing advanced probabilistic methods for corrosion modelling and resilience engineering.
Research and Teaching activities:
Dr. Taleb-Berrouane has authored and co-authored numerous research and conference papers mainly in the area of process safety, risk, reliability and asset integrity management. Dr. Taleb-Berrouane has been a reviewer for several journals and conferences in the area of probabilistic modelling, process safety and reliability engineering. He has taught the following MUN courses:
- ENGI 9411: Probabilistic Methods in Engineering [Graduate Course]
- ENGI 9121: Advanced Safety and Risk Engineering [Graduate Course]
- ENGI 9116: Advanced Reliability Engineering [Graduate Course]
- ENGI 9115: Safety and Risk Engineering [Graduate Course]
- ENGI 8671: Safety and Risk Engineering [Undergraduate Course]
- ENGI 1010: Tutorial for first-year engineering class (150 students)
Dr. Taleb-Berrouane’s leadership achievements include:
- R&D project manager at C-RISE [2018 - Present]
- NACE Newfoundland Chapter, Membership Chair [2019-2020]
- SPE Atlantic Canada Section, Program Chair [2019-2020]
- SPE - MUN Chapter, Vice-President [2018-2019]
- C-RISE Workshops on Safety and Integrity Management of Operations in Harsh Environments, Organizing Committee Member [2017, 2019 and 2021]
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) - MUN Chapter, Professional Development Chair [2017-2018]
- Taleb-Berrouane, M., Khan, F., & Amyotte, P. (2020). Bayesian Stochastic Petri Nets (BSPN)-A new modelling tool for dynamic safety and reliability analysis. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 193, 106587. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2019.106587
- Taleb-Berrouane, M., & Khan, F. (2019). Dynamic Resilience Modelling of Process Systems. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 77, 313-318. https://doi.org/10.3303/CET1977053
- Taleb-Berrouane, M., Khan, F., Hawboldt, K., Eckert, R., & Skovhus, T. L. (2018). Model for microbiologically influenced corrosion potential assessment for the oil and gas industry. Corrosion Engineering, Science and Technology, 53(5), 378-392. https://doi.org/10.1080/1478422X.2018.1483221
- Taleb-Berrouane, M., Khan, F., & Lounis, Z. (2016). Availability analysis of safety critical systems using advanced fault tree and stochastic Petri net formalisms. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 44, 193-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2016.09.007