National Records and Information Management Month is celebrated each year in April. This year, Memorial’s Information Management & Protection Team is focusing on the theme of Innovation with Information at Memorial.
We are excited to let you know about some of the new enterprise services that the Office of the Chief Information Officer has available to help you securely collect, store, share and dispose of information.
5 innovative new enterprise solutions to securely collect, store, share and dispose of information:
- Document Manager is for sharing information in a timely manner to a group of internal and/or external users
- Example – Committee meeting agendas and minutes
- Core features include:
- Securely share information with users inside and outside the university community/network
- Accessible through MUN Login
- Offers a two-factor security option (text and/or email) for Site Collections holding confidential information
- Responsibility to add/remove users and manage the overall content is with the Unit
Here’s an example of a Document Manager Site Collection:
- Qualtrics is an industry-leading survey software solution that is currently used by 6800 schools and 2000 universities worldwide, including several Canadian institutions
- No cost for faculty, staff and students to use
- cloud based service
- easy to use
- advanced survey features
- flexible reporting and analytic capabilities
- data stored in Canada
- three-year contract (effective June 2018)
- Purchased with the intention of becoming the university’s enterprise document management solution
- Buy once – apply many times!
- Core features
- Document imaging and management
- Custom queries
- Email/Outlook integration
- Multi-function device integration
- System integration (i.e. Banner)
- OnBase is being implemented at select offices. Further information about OnBase can be found at https://www.mun.ca/cio/imp/onbase.php.
Here’s a look at how OnBase is being implemented across the University: Here's a look at the innovative future applicatons of OnBase:
- ShareBase is a cloud-based secure file sharing solution. With ShareBase, it’s easy to access and share your documents from any desktop, web browser, or mobile device with people inside or outside Memorial.
- Some features of ShareBase include:
- Stored in Canadian Data Centre
- Strong security controls
- Unlimited storage
- Share with unlimited internal and/or external users
- Integrate with OnBase
- ShareBase is currently being piloted in select units at the University. Further information about ShareBase can be found at https://sharebase.onbase.com/en/
- MUNCLASS is a model classification plan and standard retention and disposal schedule for common records across the University.
- It includes a classification framework to organize physical and electronic records in university offices, consisting of eleven functional areas based on common functions.
- Along with the support the Information Management and Protection Team is providing directly to units, we have a website focused on MUNCLASS to assist units in implementing MUNCLASS: www.mun.ca/cio/imp/munclass
We are encouraging faculty and staff to take some time this month to:
Review our website
- Refresh your knowledge of Information Management and Protection best practices by reviewing our 'For The Record' tip sheets
- Check out our brand new MUNCLASS webpage for everything you need to know about MUNCLASS, the University's Classification and Retention Plan
Hold a 'Spring Cleaning' Day
Organize a records cleanup day for your unit! Our 'Organizing a Records Cleanup Day' tip sheet provides advice on organizing and executing a successful records cleanup day.
Memorial has a dedicated Information Management and Protection Team that's here to help you. Contact us at IM@mun.ca for advice or to schedule an information management and/or information protection training session.