Physician/Nursing Related Questions


1. What medical services do I need to pay for when I visit the Centre?

There are a number of medical services provided by physicians that are not covered by provincial health insurance plans and requires a service fee be charged. Please refer to the Questions regarding charges section to see individual fees.

All fees and services are subject to change without notice.  While we make every effort to provide you with the most accurate, up-to-date information, errors may occur.

2. Can I charge medical services to my student account?

No, all payments for medical services are to be paid with staff at the front desk. The Centre accepts cash, debit, or credit card as forms of payment.

3. Can I walk in?

There are a limited number of same day appointments available for these purposes. If you wish to schedule an appointment for an acute problem such as these it is best to call early in the day, as these appointments go quickly.

4. How do I register for HealthMyself - Patient Portal?

HealthMyself - Patient Portal is a communication tool used within SWCC that provides a secure and convenient way for patients and front desk reception to engage online. 

This online tool is available for physician and nursing appointments that allow for the following features:


  • Private and secure messaging
  • Track ongoing communications
  • Get notified of new messages


  • View availability and request appointments online
  • View your upcoming appointments
  • Eliminate "phone tag" and waiting on hold
  • Receive automatic appointment reminders

To register for HealthMyself - Patient Portal, please call (709) 864-8500 or drop by UC-5000 (5th floor, University Centre) to request a registration email from front desk reception.

5. What do I need to do to get a sick note?

Students are often asked to obtain a sick note if unable to attend mid-term or final exams. These forms can be completed by a physician in the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre.

An appointment is required to complete the form and please specify that you require a medical certificate when you are scheduling an appointment. A $10 fee will apply as medical certificates are not covered by your provincial health care plan or insurance.

6. What should I bring to my appointment?

Please bring your Health Card or health insurance documents.

7. What happens if my health card is expired?

You will need to connect with your provincial Department of Health as each province is set up differently when renewing a health card. In Newfoundland and Labrador, MCP renewals are issued by the Department of Health and Community Services. Visit Health and Community Services for more information.

If your health card is expired, you will be charged a $50 fee for an office visit.

8. What happens if I do not have a health card?

All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance plan. For information on coverage and making a claim, you can log into Guard Me International using your policy ID. Your policy ID is emailed to your account the end of the first month of every semester by the insurance provider.

If you require additional information please refer to the Internationalization Office.

For students who do not qualify for a Foreign Health Insurance plan you will be charged a $50 fee for an office visit.

9. How do I get a copy of my immunization records?

All requests for Immunizations given, titres performed by the Centre and Immunization Forms to be completed will now be requested through the designated immunization email at

We will need the following information to complete the request:
1. Your full name
2. Date of birth
3. Student number
4. How you would like to have your records delivered to you (i.e. pick up, mailed, emailed, etc.)

10. How do I request a transfer or copy of my medical chart?

Your medical file is kept separate from all other University and academic files. Information about you cannot be released to anyone without your written consent, except when required by law. We are required by law to keep each medical file for ten years.

If you wish to have your file transferred to another clinic or physician, written authorization is required. You will need to sign a Release of Information Form which grants us permission to release your medical file.

The release of information form can be mailed or faxed to us, alternatively you can drop by the Centre to complete a form. Please be aware that there is a charge for transfer of medical records.

11. Where do I go to get my tests done?

If you require a blood test please visit Major's Path Clinic - Eastern Health Outpatients Services. If you require an X-ray please visit Eastern Health

12. How long before I can get my results?

Results are not able to be given over the telephone or through email. Please do not assume that your results are normal if you don’t hear from us and suggest booking an appointment with the physician to review your results.

Generally, the approximate turnaround time for results to come back are as follows:

  • STI Testing - 1 week
  • ECG - 1-2 weeks
  • General Bloodwork - 1 week
  • PAP -  3 weeks
  • Throat Culture -  1 week
  • Urine Culture - 1 week
  • Vaginal Culture (yeast, BV) - 1 week
  • X-ray/Ultrasound - 7-10 days
  • Sleep Studies - 7-10 days
  • MRI/CT Scan - 7-10 days