St. Anthony is located on the northeastern tip of Newfoundland’s Great Northern Peninsula. This site was first given the name of ‘St. Anthony Haven’ in 1532, for the way in which the area operated as a safe landing point for fishing fleets. The region was initially settled based on the fact that there were rich cod fishing grounds in the vicinity, a move that helped to establish a productive fishery that would last for several centuries. Despite the eventual collapse of the cod fishery, St. Anthony has had many development successes, making it a vital service center for residents of the broader GNP region.
Another important feature of St. Anthony is the community’s historic affiliation with the legacy of Dr. Grenfell. Wilfred Thomason Grenfell (1865–1940). He was a British doctor who arrived in St. Anthony in 1892 as a medical missionary, sent by The Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen. Within a year of his arrival, Dr. Grenfell commenced building a medical system that eventually grew to serve the regions of Northern Newfoundland and Labrador. As his medical mission grew, his mandate expanded to include the development of schools, cooperatives, industrial work projects, an orphanage, and other social programs. One such program involved utilizing local textile-based craft skills to help sustain the region’s economy. Grenfell style embroidered coats and hooked rugs with Grenfell inspired designs are still being produced by residents of the Great Northern Peninsula. These objects are now referred to as being a part of the ‘Grenfell tradition’ and can be seen and purchased at Grenfell Handicrafts, located in St. Anthony.