COMP 4820: Modern Cybersecurity and Applied Cyber Defence
This course is an elective for the Data-centric Computing Stream.
Students who are interested in cybersecurity, defence and threat management should find this course beneficial.
Availability: This course is usually offered once per year, in Fall or Winter.
This course covers the basic principles and tools needed to design and develop a secure computer system, with a focus on secure software development. The knowledge, skills, and tools learned in relation to this aspect can however be utilized in secure design and security analysis of other computer systems.
- Self-assessment 10%
- Assignments 20%
- Labs 15%
- Project 25%
- Final Exam 30%
Representative Course Outline
- Introduction, terminology (3 hours)
- Security Principles and systematic approach to Security (3 hours)
- Cryptography (6 hours)
- Access Control and Authentication (3 hours)
- Software Security and Secure Software Development (9 hours)
- Host Hardening (3 hours)
- Network Security (3 hours)
- Database Security (3 hours)
- Non-technical aspects of Security (3 hours)