BA, Carleton, 2004
MA, Carleton, 2006
PhD, Rutgers, 2013
Associate Professor | Department Head
Phone: (709) 864-7818
Office: Queen's College, QC-4021
Geographical: Africa (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda); North America
Theoretical and Topical: Development Studies; Environmental and Economic Anthropology; Critical Agrarian Studies; Agriculture; farm workers; land reform; gender relations; migration; religion
Students Interested in working in any of these fields should feel free to contact me to discuss possible honours or graduate thesis supervision.
- 2021 “Women’s Empowerment in Africa: Critical Reflections on the Abbreviated Women’s Empowerment in Agriculture Index (A-WEAI).” African Studies Review 64 (2): 276-291. (First Author with Matthew Schnurr, Christopher Gore, Sylvia Bawa and Sarah Mujabi-Mujuzi).
- 2021 “Biotechnology.” In Handbook of Critical Agrarian Studies, edited by Haroon Akram-Lodhi, Kristina Dietz, Bettina Engels and Ben M. McKay. Edward Elgar Publishing. 427-437. (Second author with Matthew Schnurr)
- 2020 “Limits to Biofortification: Farmer Perspectives on Vitamin A Enriched Banana in Uganda.” Journal of Peasant Studies, 47 (2): 326-345. (Second Author with Matthew Schnurr and Sarah Mujabi-Mujuzi).
- 2020 “Genetically Modified Crops and Gender Relations in Low-and Middle-Income Countries: A Critical Review.” Journal of Development Perspectives, 4 (1-2): 9-22 (Second Author with Matthew Schnurr, Sylvia Bawa and Christopher Gore).
- 2019 Chiefs of the Plantation: Authority and Contestation on the South Africa-Zimbabwe Border. McGill Queens University Press.
- 2019 “The Fragility of Empowerment: Changing Gender Relations in a Zimbabwean Resettlement Area.” Review of African Political Economy, 46 (159): 101-116.
- 2017 “Which Variables Influence Farmer Adoption of Genetically Modified (GM) orphan crops? Measuring Attitudes and Intentions to Adopt GM Matooke Banana in Uganda” AgBioForum, 20 (2): 133-147. (Second Author with Matthew Schnurr).
- 2016 “Labor, Gender and New Sources of Agrarian Change: An Introduction.” Agriculture and Human Values, 33 (4): 961-965 (First Author with Matthew Schnurr).
- 2016 “Growing Burdens? Disease Resistant Genetically Modified Bananas and the Potential Gendered Implications for Labor.” Agriculture and Human Values, 33 (4): 967-978 (First Author with Matthew Schnurr).
- 2014 “Delegated Despotism: Frontiers of Agrarian Labor on a South African Border Farm.” Journal of Agrarian Change 14(2): 286-304, 2014.
- 2014 “The Sexual Economy, Gender Relations and Narratives of Infant Death on a Large Scale Tomato Farm in Northern South Africa.” Journal of Agrarian Change 14(1): 74-93.