Application Process: Frequently Asked Questions

Is there an application fee?

Yes, and the application fee is governed by the School of Graduate Studies. 

What is the deadline for applications?

Ph.D., and M.Sc. applications should all be submitted before the posted deadline for admission in the following Fall (starting in September) term, or the posted deadline for the following Winter (starting in January) term.

What if my application is not complete by the posted deadline?

The Graduate Committee begins reviewing applications after the deadline. If your application reaches the department after the deadline, it will be rejected for the corresponding intake. There is a gap of a few weeks between the time when School of Graduate Studies receives your documents and when the application file is available to the department. If you submit your application after the indicated dates, you run the risk that it will not reach the review committee on time.

What is the normal starting date in your graduate programs?

Students are admitted in the fall and winter semesters.

Can I apply for admission in the spring (May) semester?

Only in exceptional circumstances! The application will require the endorsement by a prospective supervisor.

Can I apply for admission once the deadline has past?

Only in exceptional circumstances! The application will require "sponsorship" by a prospective supervisor. Without the support from a potential supervisor your application will be reviewed in the next admission cycle (e.g. if you apply to the thesis based M.Sc. program in April 2016, your application will be reviewed in January 2017 for admission in September 2017).

My marks are below 75%. Can I still apply?

It depends. Visit WES for grade conversion guide.

When will I be notified about the outcome of my application?

The Graduate Committee reviews Ph.D. and M.Sc. (thesis route) applications in January and April of each year. The applicants are notified about decision in March and May.

Can I check with the department's secretary or the Graduate Officer about the status of my application?

No! The department does not provide information about the status of your application before the formal notification from the School of Graduate Studies.

On the SGS website I can see that the status of my application is COMPLETED. What does it mean?

It means that all required information (transcripts, recommendation letters, etc.) has been received by the School of Graduate Studies. It does not mean that decision about your application has been made.

Do you offer a course based Master's degree?

The closest we have to a pure courses degree is the Master's program Option 2 (Work-term route).

Can I apply to your graduate program if my previous education was in a different field (e.g. Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Biology)?

Yes, you can, but only exceptional candidates will be accepted. An endorsement from a prospective supervisor at MUN will be very helpful.

Do you require the GRE test?

GRE test is highly recommended but not required.

Do you require the TOEFL or IELTS test from international students?

Yes. See here ( go to "Proof of English proficiency") for details and exception from this requirement.

Can I contact faculty members before submitting my application?

Yes, you can, but be very specific about your proposed area of research and why you intend to work with the contact person. E-mails of the form "Dear sir [no name specified]. I am very impressed with your research [no area mentioned] and your publications [no specific reference]. It was always my dream to study at your world renowned university. I am interested in doing research in the area of Data Bases, Graphics, AI, Software Engineering, Robotics or Programming Languages [make up your mind]" are left unanswered.

I already hold a Master's degree in Computer Science from another university. Can I still apply for admission to your Master's program?

Yes, you can, but such applications are usually not viewed very favourably.

Can you inform me about the tuition fees?

You can find the relevant information here. Master's students (both thesis and course/project route) select the option A (6 semesters). Ph.D. students pay the regular fee over the period of 12 semesters. If you program takes more than 2 years (M.Sc.) or more than 4 years (Ph.D.), there is an additional continuance fee. 

Will I receive funding when admitted to your program?

Funding is usually available to our M.Sc. (thesis route) and Ph.D. students, but cannot be guaranteed.

If no funding is available, can I still get admission?

Yes, sometimes admission to the M.Sc. (thesis route) and Ph.D. programs is made without funding. Also, admission into the M.Sc. (course/work term route) typically does not involve funding. If you are an international student, you will have to show to Canadian Immigration that you have other funds available to support yourself when studying at Memorial. This might be difficult.

If I accept admission without funding, can I apply for funding after my arrival in St. John's?

Normally no financial package is made available to students who accept admission without funding.

I am interested in area XYZ. Which professor should I contact?

Visit the web pages from our professors and identify their research areas before applying. A good starting point is here.

Can I apply into the Ph.D. program right after completeing my Bachelor degree?

Trully exceptional students with a completed Bachelor degree (but not a M.Sc. degree) have the option of fast-tracking into the Ph.D. program. Such students must apply to our thesis based M.Sc. program. After demonstrating to the satisfaction of the Department their ability to pursue research at the Doctoral level, they may be transferred into the Ph.D. program (after 12 months).