Study and work permits

Students who come to Canada from other countries must apply for and obtain a study permit to legally study in Canada.

That includes any student who is not a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada.

To obtain a study permit, you will require an official letter of admission from the School of Graduate Studies.

You may submit your study permit application to your nearest Canadian immigration authority (e.g., Canadian Embassy), which will provide you with information on fees and requirements.

You should apply for a study permit at least six months before your departure date. If you come from a country that requires a visitor’s visa (also known as a temporary resident visa (TRV)), it will be issued at the same time as your study permit. Spouses and children who come to Canada will require the TRV.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada can offer more details on the process.

Off-campus work permit

International graduate students may be eligible to work off campus with proper authorization.

To obtain authorization, you must first confirm your eligibility. Then, you can submit an online work-permit application through the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

To be eligible for a work permit, a graduate student must have maintained a clear academic standing and registered as a full-time student for a minimum of 6 months in a 12-month period.

For more information, we encourage you to talk to the staff at the International Student Advising Office.