Bachelor of Recreation
This bachelor of recreation is designed for students planning a career in commercial or institutional recreation, including therapeutic recreation. The program prepares students to develop, plan and lead recreational activities in a variety of settings.
Students may apply for admission into the School of Human Kinetics and Recreation directly from high school by indicating their desired degree option in the appropriate place on the University Application for Admission/Readmission. The application and supporting documentation is required by the March 1 deadline.
Direct entry into the program from high school is competitive for a limited number of placements and is subject to the applicant meeting the general admission requirements for Memorial University. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee a student’s acceptance into the program.
Possible careers include:
- seniors/older adult recreation co-ordinator
- community programs director
- military recreation co-ordinator
- community development specialist
- marketing specialist for professional sports teams
- wellness co-ordinator
- athletics association director
- recreation co-ordinator for youth programs
- family resource co-ordinator
Note: some of these careers may call for supplementary education or preparation in the form of graduate studies, experiential learning or professional courses and exams.