Looking to go global? Why not choose a graduate school that offers first-rate academic programs in a place you’ll truly want to call home. Students come from all over the world to study at Memorial University. Graduate students at Memorial choose to live and learn here for many reasons.
- Memorial offers a diverse list of graduate programs designed to meet your expectations for academic excellence and your desire for intellectual challenges.
- Graduate students get a chance to work with world-renowned researchers at Memorial. Whether you want to become an expert in population dynamics or folksongs, oil and gas, or mergers and acquisitions, you'll find your match here.
- Memorial's Enhanced Development of the Graduate Experience program offers high-quality workshops and training sessions to support professional skills development among graduate students.
- Memorial has several English as a Second Language programs and courses designed to help you improve your language skills as a graduate student.
A place to belong
- Our International Student Advising Office gives you a warm welcome and all the support you need to settle into life at Memorial. The ISA will also tell you all about the study and work permits that you may need to attend Memorial.
- We offer you an international community, where students from Argentina to Zimbabwe come to pursue advanced degrees. Feel free to connect with some of the International Student Groups at Memorial.
- Our St. John’s campus is in the heart of the city. You’ll find yourself minutes from shopping centres, restaurants, accommodations, and the airport.
- For more information on Memorial, take a look at our welcome brochure in Chinese, Arabic, and Spanish.
- Living here won’t break your bank account. From food to rent, we are one of the most affordable places to live in North America.
- We have some of the lowest tuition rates in Canada, thanks to a government tuition freeze, and a commitment to affordable education for all.
- Memorial offers very competitive funding packages for international graduate students in eligible research programs.
Special international student categories/programs
Memorial University offers a number of unique opportunities for international graduate students to study and learn in our province. Among them are the following:
- Visiting research students – Visiting research students are graduate students at other recognized institutions who come to Memorial University to conduct research under the supervision of a Memorial faculty member. For more information, please visit the School of Graduate Studies website.
- Sponsored graduate students – Sponsored graduate students normally receive funding from a government, university, or company to pursue a graduate degree overseas. If you are a sponsored student, please contact us.
- Students funded through partner agencies – Memorial University has reached agreements with the following agencies and organizations. International students from these regions or affiliated with these institutions and are interested in applying for Memorial University's master's or doctoral programs are asked to contact the appropriate officer in their home country or the School of Graduate Studies.
- Vietnam International Education Development, Ministry of Education and Training, Vietnam
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau in Canada
- Science without Borders, Brazilian Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science and Technology (no formal agreement needed)
- China Scholarship Council (agreement pending)
- Students in joint graduate programs – Memorial University is pleased to provide an opportunity to exceptional students to pursue double doctoral degree programs. Through such an agreement, a doctoral student will carry out a joint research project at Memorial University and another recognized institution and earn doctoral degrees from both institutions. Memorial also offers the opportunity to create joint undergraduate and graduate programming with partner institutions. For more information please contact the School of Graduate Studies.
There are many resources available to help international students find their way here. Please take a look at the following pages:
- Immigrate to Newfoundland and Labrador
- Study in Canada (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
- Imagine Education in Canada
Click the Apply button for step-by-step instruction on how to submit your application online:
Follow us on international social networks