Travelling on university business?
Memorial University recognizes the need for academic, administrative and research units to travel in order to fulfill the needs of university. Whenever travelling on university business whether it be domestic or international travel, there is always risk involved.
Please review Memorial's travel policies:
- General Travel Policy
- Travel Outside of Canada Policy
- Travel - Familiarization Visit (for new employees)
- Travel - Guests Lecturers and Other Official Visitors
- Travel - Pre-Employment Interview
- Travel - Relocation and Removal
Here are some other resources to help you plan your trip:
- Memorial University's Internationalization Office
- Coverage for travelling employees and retirees (Human Resources)
- Registration of Canadians Abroad
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
The university's liability insurance policy provides coverage for university sanctioned events worldwide. It is, however, the responsibility of the participating members to ensure they have proper medical coverage for their specific destination.
Enterprise Risk Management is here to provide any person or group travelling on university business the information to properly plan and carry out all travel with piece of mind that they are covered from an insurance perspective and that in the event of an incident during your travels that we are here to assist you.
Memorial's Travel Outside of Canada Policy provides you with the information and resources you need.
Memorial has partnered with International SOS, an international travel medical and security service.
International SOS provides:
- Medical and security information and advice prior to and during travel
- Support in case of a medical or security incident or emergency during travel
- A platform on which travelers can sign up for alerts specific to their trip location
Please visit the Memorial International SOS membership portal.
All Memorial University members on university sponsored trips are eligible for International SOS coverage, including immediate family members who are travelling with the member. We encourage you to review answers to some of the more frequently asked questions found at the bottom of the membership portal page.
If you are traveling internationally, please print and carry an International SOS card, available in the International SOS portal. Should you encounter difficulties or problems while traveling abroad, contact International SOS per the instructions on your membership card. International SOS will work to meet your needs immediately and will contact Memorial University on your behalf if necessary.
Some of the International SOS or third party services (eg Medical, dental care etc.) carry additional charges. Should you require a service which has an additional charge, International SOS will inform you in advance and may require a personal credit card for these services. International SOS service does not replace medical or travel insurance.
International SOS Assistance App
The Assistance App puts International SOS support into the palm of your hands
- Plan for wherever you work or travel to.
- Stay alerted to incidents unfolding in real time.
- Get health and security assistance when you need it most.