Renting a vehicle?

Things to know:

While most rental agencies provide third party liability insurance, they will require physical damage coverage as well.  This can be obtained in several ways:

  1. If possible, use a Memorial AMEX credit card as this card will automatically provide physical damage coverage.
  2. Use a personal credit card that provides physical damage coverage ensuring the cardholder is the driver of the rental vehicle.
  3. The University's Non-Owned Automobile Insurance Policy will provide coverage, however the renting department/faculty or research fund will be responsible for any deductible that may apply.

Renting in Ontario?

On March 1, 2006 the Province of Ontario introduced Bill 18 - Vicarious Liablity which made the motor vehicle liability policy of the renter first in line for liability coverage in the case of a claim. As a result coporate insurance policies (i.e. the university's insurance) can only respond as a second level of coverage after the renter's "personal" auto insurance has been exhausted. 

Please request that the rental agreement contain both the name of the cardholder and the university as this can help alleviate problems in the event of a claim.



Renting for more than 30 days?

United States and Canada

If you are renting in either the United States or Canada for a period of greater than 30 days you must complete a Request for Motor Vehicle form and forward it to the Procurement Officer with Facilities Management, so that the vehicle can added to the university's automobile insurance policy.

Outside the United States and Canada

For rentals in excess of 30 days outside of the United States and Canada you will be required to purchase (at the expense of the rental department/faculty or research grant), additional insurance from the rental agency as the university's insurance policies will not apply.

Involved in an accident?

If you are involved in an accident please refer to Motor Vehicle Accidents.

If you have any questions please contact Enterprise Risk Management.