Driving on university business?

The university's owned and non-owned automobile insurance policies are developed to ensure that faculty, researchers, staff, students and volunteers are covered while driving on university business. 

Please refer to the university's General Travel Policy for more information regarding driving on university Business.

Depending on the type of vehicle being used there may be varying insurance coverages.

Using a personal vehicle?

If you are using a personal vehicle for university business it should be noted that the insurance policy of the vehicle is the primary insurer in the event of a claim and the university's non-owned automobile insurance policy may provide secondary coverage.

Please refer to the university's policy on Employee Owned Vehicles for more information regarding their use.

Using a University owned vehicle?

The university's owned automobile insurance policy will provide coverage in the event of a claim involving a vehicle owned by the university or a vehicle rented in excess of 30 days.

Please refer to the university's Policy on University Owned or Leased Vehicles for more information.

Renting a vehicle?

If you plan on renting a vehicle please refer to the Renting a Vehiclesection of this website.

Considering a 12 or 15 passenger van?

Research has shown that 12 and 15 passenger vans pose a higher rollover risk when fully loaded.  The university does not recommend use of such vehicles for the transportation of passengers on University business. 

Transport Canada has published information regarding safe operating practices for 12 and 15 passenger vans that should be reviewed prior to their use. 

Visit the Transport Canada website for more information and contact our office to ensure that adequate coverage is available.

Involved in an accident?

In the event of an accident/incident involving a personal, university owned/leased or rental vehicle please complete the forms found in Motor Vehicle Accidents.