Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident?

If you are involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident while on university business you need to complete an Automobile Accident Report form and return it to Enterprise Risk Management.

As well, your immediate supervisor should fill out an Accident/Incident Report form and forward it to Environmental Health and Safety, immediately following notification of the accident/incident.

What information should I collect?

There is some important information that should be collected at the scene of the accident as this can be very helpful in the case of an insurance claim:

  • Description of damages to vehicle(s)/property
  • Vehicle(s) information (year, make, model, license plate number)
  • Photos of the damaged vehicle(s)/property and accident scene
  • Names, phone numbers, addresses and email addresses of all
    • registered owner(s)
    • occupants of vehicle(s) involved in the accident
    • witnesses
  • Location of accident
  • Weather conditions at the time of accident
  • Brief description of known injuries
  • Time of day in which the accident took place
  • Company name, policy number and phone number for other insurance companies
  • If applicable; police department, police report number, phone number, officer name, badge number, ambulance company, fire department