Historic Ferryland Museum is located in the old Courthouse just a short walk from the Colony of Avalon. The building was manned by the Newfoundland Constabulary and served the Southern Shore as a Courthouse for approximately 40 years until its closure shortly after Newfoundland joined Confederation in 1949. The main floor held the courtroom, magistrate's office, jail cell and telegraph office. Upstairs was a residence for the Newfoundland Constabulary member and his family. During its term as a courthouse, six officers served this area and lived in the building: O'Flaherty, Manning, Power, Lake, Hogan and Costello.
Ferryland Museum is presently conducting research on the six officers and the role they played in the history of the building and this entire area. It is their intention to use the information collected for their files which will be made available to the public for research purposes. Information will also be used for the development of an exhibit which will become part of the permanent collection of Historic Ferryland Museum. They are grateful to the people who granted interviews and donated photographs and/or information for this project.