COVID-19: Student Emergency Funds

Student emergency FundsUndergraduate Student Emergency Funding and the SGS Graduate Student Emergency Fund provide financial relief for undergraduate and graduate students who face exceptional challenges and personal crises. Many of our undergraduate and graduate students are currently experiencing major difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic. Among a range of different situations we are trying to prioritize and mitigate include: student parents who are now unable to support their families due to job loss; others with extenuating medical conditions; and some who face housing and/or food insecurity due to this crisis. While this is significant support, we continue to receive requests from students who are not eligible for federal funding, or whose needs exceed the maximum available from federal government.

These two sources of funding are more important now than ever as students face unprecedented circumstances. Your donations are gratefully accepted. Thank you.

You can donate online at our secure website:

Give Online 

When you visit the online giving form above, the areas of designation are Undergraduate Student Emergency Funding or SGS Graduate Student Emergency Fund or both funds with your gift divided equally. These are the first three options that appear on the form in the 'Area of Designation' dropdown box. When completing the form, please ensure you choose your preferred option for the appropriate designation.

Graduate and undergraduate students from all Memorial campuses, including St. John’s Campus, Marine Institute and Grenfell Campus will be eligible for these funds.

If you have any questions about your gifts to this fund, please contact: Accounting Clerk, Gift Entry, Penny Butler at or 709 631-4826. For all other inquiries, please email

Please note that if there are any monies remaining in these two funds after the needs related to COVID-19 have passed, the remaining monies will be designated for emergency purposes related to future student needs.

Thank you for your generosity at this challenging time. We know our students will deeply appreciate your support.

Payroll deduction for employees or retirees of Memorial:
If you are an employee or retiree of Memorial, you can give through payroll deduction, which can be set up online or by mail. Detailed information can be found under 'Faculty and Staff Giving' located at If you have additional questions about payroll deduction, please contact: Accounting Clerk, Gift Entry, Penny Butler at or 709 631-4826; or Manager, Advancement Services and Operations, Michelle Kearsey at or 709-693-1194.

Mail-in donations:
We strongly encourage you to complete your donation online as it is currently the fastest way for us to process your gift. However, if you are unable to give online or prefer to send your donation by mail, please ensure you have clearly noted in writing the designation of your gift(s) as 'Undergraduate Student Emergency Funding' or 'SGS Graduate Student Emergency Fund' or 'Both Undergraduate Student Emergency Funding AND SGS Graduate Student Emergency Fund'. In the case of the third option, your gift will be split equally between both funds. Our mailing address is:

Office of Development
Memorial University
P.O. Box 4200 STN C
St. John's, NL A1C 5S7