- 2002 PDF, Department of Agricultural, Food & Nutritional Sciences, University of Alberta
- 1999 PhD Metabolism and Nutrition, University of Guelph/University of Alberta
- 1994 MSc Metabolism and Nutrition, McMaster University/University of Guelph
- 1991- BArts&Sci Arts & Science Programme, McMaster University
- Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- 2002-2013 Canada Research Chair in Human Nutrition (MUN)
- Huber L, Lee T, LeDrew RL, Dodge ME, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2018. Photoprotection, but not N-acetylcysteine supplementation, improves intestinal blood flow and hepatic lipid peroxidation during parenteral nutrition in neonatal piglets. J Pediatr Gastroent Nutr. In press.
- Thera J, Kidd KA, Bertolo RF. 2018. Amino acid composition of aquatic invertebrates and other food web organisms. Limnology and Oceanography. Accepted September 2018.
- Robinson JL, McBreairty LE, Randell EW, Harding SV, Bartlett RK, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2018. Betaine or folate can equally furnish remethylation to methionine and increase transmethylation in methionine-restricted neonatal piglets. J Nutr Biochem. 59:129-135.
- Dinesh OC, Bertolo RF, Brunton JA. 2018. Creatine supplementation to total parenteral nutrition improves creatine status and supports greater liver and kidney protein synthesis in neonatal piglets. Pediatr Res. 83(1-1):135-141. doi: 10.1038/pr.2017.208.
- Thera J, Kidd KA, Dodge-Lynch ME, Bertolo RF. 2017. Quantification of sulphur amino acids by ultra-high performance liquid chromatography in aquatic invertebrates. Anal Biochem. 539:158-161. doi: 10.1016/j.ab.2017.10.022.
- Myrie SB, McKnight LL, King JC, McGuire JJ, Van Vliet BN, Cheema SK, Bertolo RF. 2017. Intrauterine growth-restricted Yucatan miniature pigs experience early catch-up growth leading to greater adiposity and impaired lipid metabolism as young adults. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 42(12):1322-1329. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2017-0311.
- Munasinghe LL, Robinson JL, Harding SV, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2017. Protein synthesis in mucin-producing tissues is conserved when dietary threonine is limiting in piglets. J Nutr. 147(2):202-210.
- Robinson JL, Bertolo RF. 2016. The pediatric methionine requirement should incorporate remethylation potential and transmethylation demands. Adv Nutr. 16;7(3):523-34.
- Robinson JL, Bartlett RK, Harding SV, Randell EW, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2016. Dietary methyl donors affect in vivo methionine partitioning between transmethylation and protein synthesis in the neonatal piglet. Amino Acids. 48(12):2821-2830.
- Robinson JL, Harding SV, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2016. Dietary methyl donors contribute to whole-body protein turnover and protein synthesis in skeletal muscle and the jejunum in neonatal piglets. J Nutr. 146(10):2007-2012.
- McBreairty LE, Robinson JL, Harding SV, Randell EW, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2016. Betaine is as effective as folate at re-synthesizing methionine for protein synthesis during moderate methionine deficiency in piglets. Eur J Nutr. 55(8):2423-2430.
- Robinson JL, McBreairty LE, Randell E, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2016. Restriction of dietary methyl donors limits methionine availability and affects the partitioning of dietary methionine for creatine and phosphatidylcholine synthesis in the neonatal piglet. J Nutr Biochem. 35:81-6.
- McBreairty LE, Bertolo RF. 2016. The dynamics of methionine supply and demand during early development. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 41(6):581-7.
- Bertolo RF, Ma DW. 2016. Advances in protein nutrition across the lifespan. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 41(5):563.
- McBreairty LE, Robinson JL, Furlong KR, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2015. Guanidinoacetate is more effective than creatine at enhancing tissue creatine stores while consequently limiting methionine availability in Yucatan miniature pigs. PLoS One. 2015; 10(6): e0131563.
- Myrie SM, Bertolo RF, Moehn S, Ball RO. 2014. Barley does not change threonine requirement in growing pigs fed a barley-casein-based diet compared to a casein-based diet, as determined by the indicator amino acid oxidation method. Livestock Sci. 170:108–115.
- Dinesh C, Dodge ME, Baldwin MP, Bertolo RF, Brunton JA. 2014. Enteral arginine partially ameliorates TPN-induced small intestinal atrophy and stimulates hepatic protein synthesis in neonatal piglets. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 38(8): 973-81.
- McBreairty LE, McGowan RA, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2013. Partitioning of [methyl-3H]methionine to methylated products and protein is altered during high methyl demand conditions in young Yucatan miniature pigs. J Nutr. 143(6):804-9.
- Bertolo RF, McBreairty LE. 2013. The nutritional burden of methylation reactions. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 16(1): 102-8.
- Brunton JA, Baldwin M, Bertolo RF. 2012. Proline supplementation to parenteral nutrition results in greater rates of protein synthesis in the muscle, skin and small intestine in neonatal Yucatan miniature piglets. J Nutr 142(6):1004-8.
- Myrie SB, McKnight LL, Van Vliet BN, King JC, McGuire JJ, Bertolo RF. 2012. Effects of a diet high in salt, fat and sugar on telemetry blood pressure measurements in conscious, unrestrained adult Yucatan miniature swine (Sus scrofa). Comparative Med 62(4):282-290.
- Myrie SB, MacKay DS, Van Vliet BN, Bertolo RF. 2012. Early programming of adult blood pressure in the low birth weight Yucatan miniature pig is exacerbated by a post-weaning high-salt-fat-sugar diet. Br J Nutr. 108(7):1218-25. Epub 2011 Dec 16.
- McKnight LL, Myrie SB, MacKay DS, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. 2012. Glucose tolerance is affected by visceral adiposity and gender, but not birth weight or early nutrition, in Yucatan miniature pigs. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012 Feb;37(1):106-14. Epub 2012 Jan 11.
- Alemmari A, Miller GG, Bertolo RF, Dinesh C, Brunton JA, Arnold CJ, Zello GA. 2012. Reduced aluminum contamination decreases parenteral nutrition associated liver injury. J Pediatr Surg. 2012 May;47(5):889-94.
- MacKay DS, Brophy JD, McBreairty LE, McGowan RA, Bertolo RF. 2012. Intrauterine growth restriction leads to changes in sulfur amino acid metabolism, but not global DNA methylation, in Yucatan miniature piglets. J Nutr Biochem. Sep;23(9):1121-7. Epub 2011 Dec 1.
- Myrie SB, McKnight LL, Van Vliet BN, Bertolo RF. 2011. Low birth weight is associated with reduced nephron number and increased blood pressure in adult Yucatan miniature swine. Neonatology 100:380-6.
- Brosnan JT, Wijekoon EP, Warford-Woolgar L, Trottier N, Brosnan ME, Brunton JA, Bertolo RFP. 2009. Creatine synthesis is a major metabolic process in neonatal piglets and has important implications for amino acid metabolism and methyl balance. J Nutr 139(7):1292-7.
- Bertolo RF, Burrin DG. 2008. Comparative aspects of tissue glutamine and proline metabolism. J Nutr 138(10):2032S-2039S.
- Nichols N, Bertolo RF. 2008. Luminal threonine concentration acutely affects intestinal mucosal protein and mucin synthesis in piglets. J Nutr. 138(7):1298-1303.
For a list of more Publications please contact Dr. Bertolo