Secure Shredding Services
The University contracts Shred-it for on-site secure shred bins and on-site bulk shredding and disposal of materials including paper, media and hard drives.
Details of the Shred-it contract/services can be found on Memorial's Strategic Procurement website.
On-site Secure Bins
Secure Bin Sizes and Pick-up Cycle
Shred-it can supply secure bins of various sizes that can be emptied on a scheduled or ad hoc basis, including:
- 32 Gallon Standard Console Secure Bin holding about 3 bankers boxes of records
- 65 Gallon Tote Secure Bin holding about 7 bankers boxes of records
- 95 Gallon Tote Secure Bin holding about 10 bankers boxes of records
Units will be charged a purge fee each time a bin is emptied based on the size of the bin. This can be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or bi-monthly. A unit can also request additional pickups on an ad hoc basis. We recommend a monthly pickup cycle and ad hoc pickups as necessary. Units will be setup to be invoiced directly for the service.
Secure Bin and Regularly Scheduled Shredding Pricing
Secure bin pricing varies by Region - Avalon (St. John's Campus, Signal Hill Campus, Marine Institute), Western (Grenfell Campus) and Labrador (Labrador Institute). Below is the regional breakdown of secure bin purge fees based on bin size. Units will be charged this fee each time the bin/console is emptied.
The following is the process for arranging on-site secure bins and regularly scheduled paper shredding services with Memorial’s current service provider Shred-it:
1. To arrange for secure bins and set up regularly scheduled paper shredding services, new units must fill out the Shredding Services Application Form for secure bins and email it to the Shred-it Customer Experience team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. As part of the application, you will need to provide unit information including a contact person and unit service requirements. You will be provided with some alternatives for bin size and pick up frequency based on the options listed above.
3. When the materials have been collected for on-site shredding, the service provider will issue a “Certificate of Destruction.” Units should maintain a copy of this certificate for their records.
On-site Bulk Shredding of Boxes of Paper/Media and Hard Drive Crushing
Bulk Shredding and Crushing Pricing
Shred-it offers shredding of boxes of paper at a rate of $1.80 per box (minimum 10 boxes is preferred), boxes of tapes, USBs and/or cassettes at a rate of $24 per box, and hard drive crushing at a rate of $10 per drive (with a 25% discount for quantites over 10).
The following is the process for arranging on-site bulk shredding of boxes of paper/media and hard drive crushing services with Shred-it:
1. To arrange for destruction of boxes of paper or hard drives/tapes, units must fill out the Shredding Services Request Form - Purge Service* and email it to the Shred-it Customer Experience team at email@example.com.
*Note: If you are requesting the hard drive crushing service, you must also complete the and forms for NAID Certification requirements in order for your request to be completed.
2. As part of the application, you will need to provide unit information including a contact person and unit service requirements.
3. When the materials have been collected for on-site shredding, the service provider will issue a “Certificate of Destruction.” Units should maintain a copy of this certificate for their records along with a brief description of contents or a file listing of records/media that were destroyed.