Information for Mentors
If you are looking for a unique volunteer opportunity in which you make you a lasting impact on others, you should consider becoming a Mentor to a new international student.
As a Mentor you will:
- connect with your Mentee prior to his or her arrival and answer any questions regarding life at Memorial or in St. John’s
- introduce your Mentee to campus and act as a “go-to-person” throughout the duration of the semester
- help your Mentee become involved in campus and community events
- discuss your Mentee’s concerns and challenges and, when necessary, refer him or her to the appropriate services on campus
- participate in social activities with your Mentee and other participants (including events organized by MUN Mentors)
- provide a friendly and familiar face around campus and in St. John’s and be part of a truly meaningful volunteer experience
- learn about a new culture, attend training and workshops, and complete reports and evaluations as necessary
To be eligible you must:
- have completed at least two terms at Memorial
- have a cumulative GPA of over 2.5
- submit the application by the indicated deadline
- attend an interview with the program coordinator
- be available to attend training sessions in the semester prior to your first participation
- commit a minimum of 10 hours per month to the program (including meeting and administrative time)
So what are you waiting for? Click the button below to download an application form.
October 30, 2015 is the application deadline for students interested in being a Mentor in the Winter 2016 semester.
Interviews and training for Mentors beginning in Winter 2016 will take place in November 2015.
If you would like more information about this exciting program please contact:
Julia Hiscock, MDE
Transitions Program Coordinator
International Student Advising Office
Tel: (709) 864-7505