Schools for Children
The school year for children typically runs from September to June with children starting school at age 4 or 5 depending on their birth date. Schools within the St. John's area are represented by the Eastern Region of the Easten School District of Newfoundland and Labrador.
In order to enrol your child in school, you must contact the Eastern School District. You will be referred to the principal of a particular school in the area you reside. You should begin the enrolment process of your child as soon as you arrive in St. John's.
For your interview with the school principal, you may be requested to bring
- your child's school records (translated in English if necessary)
- proof of your child's age (birth certificate (translated in English if necessary) or passport)
- medical information or immunization documents for your child (translated in English if necessary)
- proof of address (copy of a bank statement, telephone bill or lease/rental agreement with your name and address
- your visa and study permit
The principal will inform you of the exact documents you are required to provide.
Immigration Information for Minor Children to Study
For information, visit the Citizenship and Immigrtaion Canada website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp