Please Enter a Search Term

Family Health Care

Private Coverage

As a registered student, you are automatically covered by Memorial's Foreign Health Insurance Plan, however your dependents are not automatically covered under this plan. If your spouse and/or children are accompanying you to Canada, you can opt-in your dependents into the Foreign Health Insurance Plan by visiting the ISA office and completing an Opt-in form.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to cancel your Foreign Health Insurance and transfer your health coverage to a student union plan if certain conditions are met.

Student union health insurance plans (MUNSU for undergraduate students and GSU for Graduate students) have different coverage than the Foreign Health Plan and are usually less expensive. For information about student health insurance plans, visit our health website. If you are covered by one of the student union health plans, you must contact them to find out how to Opt-in your dependents to their health plan.

Public Coverage - Medical Care Plan (MCP)

The program applies to any foreign individual issued an official study permit by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) before entering Canada. The student must be attending Memorial University for at least 12 months. The dependents of the student will also be covered under MCP, provided they are living in the province and have relevant documentation to support their application. The documents should be for a period of time of 12 months or greater. There is no coverage if less than 12 months. Coverage will become effective for eligible students and dependents on the date of full enrollment in full time studies at Memorial University.

For more information regarding MCP coverage, visit the Provincial Government of NL Department of Health and Community Services website.