Procedures for Hiring International Students
If you are thinking of hiring an International Student for on or off campus employment, this page is designed to help expedite the administrative process.
When hiring a student for an on campus job an employer has to:
- Confirm that the student has a valid Study Permit (this allows a student to work on campus)
- Confirm that the student has a SIN: if the student does not have a SIN they need to apply for one in order to get set up on payroll
- Students are responsible for applying for a SIN card, however the employer along with the student must complete a "contract of employment" on offical letterhead (this confirms for Service Canada that the student has an on campus position).
- Forward the social insurance number to Payroll when the student receives it
- Direct the student to the ISA office (Corte Real, 1000A) to have a photocopy taken of the SIN card for the students file
- If you or the student have further questions please visit this website.
When hiring a student for an off campus job an employer has to:
- Confirm that the student has a vaild Off Campus Work Permit (or if they are a graduate - that they have a Post Graduate Work Permit)
- If hiring a student to work during fall and/or winter term, they are only permitted to work part time (20 hours a week)
- If hiring a student to work during scheduled academic breaks or the summer, students can work full time.
- If the student or recent graduate does not have a SIN, please refer them to this website in order to apply for one.