Community Service-Learning Day
Community Service-Learning Day took place on October 31, 2009 and we hope to have an even bigger turn-out next year. Photos from our event are available here.
Community Service-Learning Day is a program offered by I Love MUNdays and the Centre for Career Development and Experiential Learning. The program gives students the opportunity to spend a day making a positive impact on the environment.
What is the
Saturday October 31st, 2009
What are the projects?
Memorial will be teaming up with various Community Organizations to help make a difference to the environment. We will be participating in a number of different projects, including:
- Partnering with Pippy Park to do a major tree and bulb planting project with 2000 trees and bulbs.
- Removal of invasive plant species, with the help of Botanical Garden, at Mount Scio Rd.
- St.John's Clean and Beautiful will be assisting with a variety of clean-ups throughout the city. Projects will include Rennie's River, Long Pond, as well as others.
- We will be assisting Dr. Tom Chapman and the Biology 3300 in building a Butterfly Learning Garden on campus.
- Partnering with FEASt to work on developing Mannion's
- Lunch will be provided and there will be a Lunch and
Learn session with Dr.Angela Loucks-Atkinson
- Friends of Pippy Park
- St.John's Clean and Beautiful
- Biology Department - Dr. Tom Chapman
- MUN Botanical Garden - Dr. Wilf Nichols
- Human Kinetics and Recreation - Dr. Angela Loucks-Atkinson
- Facilities Management (Carpentry Shop and Central Stores)
- I (Love) MUNdays
- Wellness Education Counseling Centre
- Student Volunteer Bureau
- if possible bring a shovel and pick-axe
- closed-toe shoes are required
here to print
off and bring with you Saturday, October 31.
What is the goal of the program?