Resumes, Curriculum Vitaes (CV) and Cover Letters
What is a Resume?
- It is used for job search and is usually 2 pages in length
- Provides an overview of your experiences to date (education, work experience, volunteering, skills, interests, hobbies).
- What is the difference between an International Resume and Canadian Resume? please click here
- Resume formats: how do I start writing and compiling my resume?
- If you are a new student check out the "Functional" format
- If you just graduated check out the "Combination" format
- If you have a lot of work experience in a certian area then check out the "Chronological" format.
- Click on the link above to get more information about the types of resumes & what would work best for you.
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing Guide - information and tips on what to include and how to put together a resume and cover letter
- Action Verbs: how to describe your work or volunteer experience? these action verbs will help you design your sections and describe your duties.
What is a Cover Letter and when do I use it?
- It is a one page letter and should always accompany your résumé when applying for a job.
- It should address the position & employer you are applying to and why you are interested in the position.
- It describes the reasons you are applying for the job, the skills you have to do the position and adds a personal touch to your application
- Cover Letter samples and tips to develop or update your cover letter
What is a Curriculum Vitae (CV)?
- It is used for academic job search or continued research, schooling or experience in the academic field.
- CV's are not used for job search in industry.
- The goal of a CV is to present a complete picture of the breadth and depth of academic experiences you have accumulated.
- CV's may include lists of your publications, presentations, teaching experiences, honors, grants, and dissertation abstracts.
- CV's can be 2 - 10 pages. There is no limit on length if organized correctly.
- Curriculum Vitae Writing Guide
If you have questions or would like to have your resume/cover letter critiqued, please contact Lynn Walsh, International Student Career Advisor, via email: email@example.com