Please Enter a Search Term

Employment FAQs

How many hours can I work?

Undergraduate international students can work:

  • 19 hours a week on campus during the semester (with a study permit); full time during breaks & summer.

  • 20 hours a week off campus during the semester (with an Off Campus Work Permit); full time during breaks & summer.

Graduate international students can work:

  • 24 hours a week total (on campus or off campus job - however the maximum hours per week a grad student can work is 24)

  • This includes teaching assistant or research assistant duties.

  • 20 hours a week off campus during the semester (with an Off Campus Work Permit)

I am an International Student. Am I allowed to work in

Check your study permit for any restrictions that might be printed on it. As a general guide, International Students at MUN are currently permitted to work ONLY on-campus (in the University) or in University-run facilities off the main campus. You will not need a work permit to work on campus.

I am an International Student. May I work off-campus?

International Students may only work off-campus IF they possess a valid Off Campus Work Permit. Students can apply for this permit once they have been studying full time for 6 months out of the last 12 months

How can I get a work permit?

If a co-op work-term is NOT part of your academic program, you will NOT be able to get a work permit unless you apply for an off campus work permit or you have graduated and apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit. If you need to complete a work-term in order to complete your program (eg. a work term in the Business/Engineering faculty), you should drop by the International Student Advising Office and one of the staff will help you with the application process for a Co-op Work Permit.

How can I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

You are only eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number if you have a job. You are required to have a Social Insurance Number in order to get paid for your job. You will need proof of employment to apply. Please refer to for more details.

I have received a job offer from one of the departments on campus. What documents do I need to apply for my Social Insurance Number?

You will need to prepare the following:

1. Contract for employment (click here for printable copy)

2. Passport and VALID Study Permit

3. Completed SIN Application Form

Once I have all these documents together, where should I go to submit the application?

Bring your completed application to Service Canada located at 223 Churchill Avenue, Pleasantville (NOT Churchill Square). You can get Metrobus Route #2 from the University Centre to Service Canada.

Do I have to pay taxes if I work in Canada?

You will have to pay taxes at the same rate as Canadians. The deductions will be automatically done before you receive your salary. However, if you earn less than a stipulated amount in a year, you will typically be able to get your money back when you file your tax return around April.