Summer Entrepreneurship Institute (SEI) for Graduate Students
Memorial University's Summer Entrepreneurship Institute (SEI) for Graduate Students has been designed and developed to:
- Create awareness of entrepreneurship and new venture creation as potential career options among graduate students at Memorial University.
- Introduce graduate students to entrepreneurship and the business plan.
- Provide SEI participants with the opportunity to meet with representatives and business analysts and clients (entrepreneurs) from Memorial University’s Genesis Centre.
- Participate in an Entrepreneurship Roundtable Q & A session with local entrepreneurs.
- Assist SEI participants to develop a draft business plan proposal.
Some of the topics introduced over the course of this 5-day institute include:
- The Business Plan
- A Business Plan Proposal
- Legal and Regulatory Considerations for businesses in Canada
- SWOT Analysis
The SEI is one-week institute that starts on August 18, 2014 and ends on August 22, 2014. Each day of the 5-day institute runs from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm (coffee break refreshments and lunch provided). This program is available to graduate students at no cost.
SEI participants will have an opportunity to participate in a number of interactive presentations, be introduced to the above topics, capture their thoughts on each session through reflection and journaling and participate in reflection activities throughout the 5-day institute.
Admission to Memorial's SEI for graduate students will be through a competitive process that assesses the student applicant and his/her potential interest in becoming an entrepreneur.
- Must be registered as full-time graduate students at Memorial University for the summer semester and returning in the fall 2014 semester.
- Must complete and submit the SEI application form along with a one-page statement of interest and agree to be interviewed by the Summer Entrepreneurship Institute Coordinator.
- Your letter of interest should include a brief bio including your contact information, MUN email address, student number, your business idea, and a description of your business (products/services/target market) and an explanation of why you would like to participate in the SEI. Successful candidates will be notified by email.
SEI participants must successfully complete/attend and participate in all of the scheduled activities and sessions in the SEI in order to be eligible to receive a certificate of completion.
The application deadline for the SEI-TBA.
Please note that space is limited to 20 participants for this program.
The SEI is being presented in partnership with Memorial University’s department of Career Development and Experiential Learning, School of Graduate Studies, International Centre and Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA). For more information please contact the program coordinator Dan Dillon at (709) 864-3202.
Students who complete the SEI are eligible to apply to the Entrepreneurship Training Program (ETP) for Graduate Students for Fall/Winter 2014/2015. For information about the ETP please visit the ETP website. Graduate students who have not participated in the ETP are eligible to apply to the SEI. For more information about the ETP please contact the program coordinator Dan Dillon at (709) 864-3202.