Summer Business Institute (SBI) for Graduate Students
Memorial University's Summer Business Institute (SBI) for Graduate Students has been designed and developed to:
- Create awareness of entrepreneurship and new venture creation as potential career options among graduate students at Memorial University.
- Introduce graduate students to entrepreneurship and the business plan.
- Provide SBI participants with the opportunity to meet with representatives and business analysts and clients (entrepreneurs) from Memorial University’s Genesis Centre.
- Participate in an Entrepreneurship Roundtable Q & A session with local entrepreneurs.
- Assist SBI participants to develop a draft business plan proposal.
Some of the topics introduced over the course of this 5-day institute include:
- The Business Plan
- A Business Plan Proposal
- Legal and Regulatory Considerations for businesses in Canada
- SWOT Analysis
The SBI is one-week institute that starts on August 19, 2013 and ends on August 23, 2013. Each day of the 5-day institute runs from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm (coffee break refreshments and lunch provided). This program is available to graduate students at no cost.
SBI participants will have an opportunity to participate in a number of interactive presentations, be introduced to the above topics, capture their thoughts on each session through reflection and journaling and participate in reflection activities throughout the 5-day institute.
Admission to Memorial's SBI for graduate students will be through a competitive process that assesses the student applicant and his/her potential interest in becoming an entrepreneur.
- Must be registered as full-time graduate students at Memorial University for the summer semester and returning in the fall 2013 semester.
- Must complete and submit the SBI application form along with a one-page statement of interest and agree to be interviewed by the Summer Business Institute Coordinator.
- Your letter of interest should include a brief bio including your contact information, MUN email address, student number, your business idea, and a description of your business (products/services/target market) and an explanation of why you would like to participate in the SBI. Successful candidates will be notified by email.
SBI participants must successfully complete/attend and participate in all of the scheduled activities and sessions in the SBI in order to be eligible to receive a certificate of completion.
The application deadline for the SBI is August 13, 2013. (Link to SBI application located on the top of this page).
Please note that space is limited to 20 participants for this program.
The SBI is being presented in partnership with Memorial University’s department of Career Development and Experiential Learning, School of Graduate Studies, International Centre and Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA). For more information please contact the program coordinator Dan Dillon at (709) 864-3202.
Please complete and return your SBI application along with your letter of interest to Dan Dillon the SBI coordinator on or before August 13, 2013, Centre for Career Development, 4th Floor University Centre. Completed SBI applications can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com along with your attached letter of interest.
Students who complete the SBI are eligible to apply to the Entrepreneurship Training Program (ETP) for Graduate Students for Fall/Winter 2013/2014. For information about the ETP please visit the ETP website. Graduate students who have not participated in the ETP are eligible to apply to the SBI. For more information about the ETP please contact the program coordinator Dan Dillon at (709) 864-3202.